Spike Camp

300WBY Ultra Lightweight

300WBY Ultra Lightweight
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
I recently acquired a 300WBY in a Ultra Lightweight version.  From what I can gather it is a first generation UL, as it has a stainless fluted barrel, matte black action, grey/black stock. Upon receiving it I noticed the barrel seems to rub the stock more on one side than the other. I assumed it had been improperly torqued. So i removed the barreled action from the stock and was going to re-torque the screws, when i noticed there is two pressure points in the barrel channel, and "no bedding" around the recoil lug. 

My accumark has bedding material around the recoil lug, so does my "accuguard"

any thoughts on bedding the recoil lug, and the pressure points on the stock?

Re: 300WBY Ultra Lightweight
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
If it was mine l would put it back together, torque to spec and see how it shoots before changing anything

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
ok.

was just kinda curious if others with ultra lightweights has similar concerns at first and how those rifles ended up shooting

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »
+ 1. See how she shoots first.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
That's good advice
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
... So i removed the barreled action from the stock and was going to re-torque the screws, when i noticed there is two pressure points in the barrel channel, and "no bedding" around the recoil lug. 

My accumark has bedding material around the recoil lug, so does my "accuguard"

any thoughts on bedding the recoil lug, and the pressure points on the stock?
There is a "harmonic" vibration in every rifle barrel when a shot is fired.  Stiffer and thicker barrels have less harmonic vibration than less stiff and thinner barrels do.  Some manufacturers put a tab or pressure point under the barrel just inside he end if the forearm of the stock. 

That pressure point reduces the barrel vibration.  It may or may not improve the accuracy of the barrel.  The only way to really know is to shoot groups with and without the pressure point.

Many shooters, myself included, like a free floating barrel.

As to the bedding around the recoil lug,  I have heard that only the sides, bottom, and the back of the recoil lug should be fully bedded to the stock.  Pillar bedding places metal pillars between the bottom of the recoil lug and the back of the action and the floorplate which gives the best metal to metal to metal contact when the action screws are tightened.  The metal pillars are epoxied in the stock, and the action screws go through them.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:19:37 AM »
This is my 5 shot 100 yard group. These were from clean bore.
I am more than confident in admitting error on the blue X cause the pressure of a nice group was getting to me.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »
every once it awhile I do the same thing as your blue X, I have to pull a shot just to f$%K up a decent group  ::)  That's a pretty decent group, a little load tuning it will be sub moa easily.  8)

Rob