Spike Camp

257 Weatherby Bullets

257 Weatherby Bullets
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
Been using 115 Combined Technology Nosler because I had a bunch. Wanting to change to a tougher bullet. Experiences?  Deer, antelope will be the quarry. Or, since it's a great load, stick with that bullet?  It's chronographed at 3200 fps.

Re: 257 Weatherby Bullets
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
Here are a couple loads out of my .257 Vanguard.  I since traded that Vanguard off for a MK V in .257.  Should have kept the Vanguard.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
I shoot 100 TTSX's out of my S1 and 110 Accubonds out of my S2 Accuguard. If you want to see if your rifle likes a tougher bullet, give the Barnes a try. My 25-06 Loves A-frames, have you had a problem with the 115s or are you just guessing? Sounds like a fun project and you can always go back to your original load.
Doug

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
I have had very good accuracy and results on animals with the 100 grain Barnes.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »
For what you mentioned you're going to be using them on I wouldn't worry about going with a tougher bullet as deer and antelope aren't tough to kill and certainly don't require solids to kill them.  As long as you place your shots correctly the Ballistic Tips will do the job well.  If you still want a tougher bullet try using an Accubond in the same weight in place of the Ballistic Tip, you might get lucky with both bullets having the same point of impact.  I've had that happen a few times in the past.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
I shoot 100 TTSX's out of my S1 and 110 Accubonds out of my S2 Accuguard. If you want to see if your rifle likes a tougher bullet, give the Barnes a try. My 25-06 Loves A-frames, have you had a problem with the 115s or are you just guessing? Sounds like a fun project and you can always go back to your original load.
No problems. Just enjoy working up different loads and hunting with them.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
I use the 100 TTSX but with the .257 you have several options

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »

There's nothing wrong with that and lots of fun.  If you're looking for a "tougher" bullet I'd give the Nosler Partitions a try.  Other bullets I'd recommend is the Nosler AccuBonds, or even the Nosler E-Tips.  From what I've read and been told by a few people Barnes bullets can be real finicky and finding a load can be a test of your patients.  I don't know how true that is because I've never loaded any of them but I've heard that a few times from different people over the years. 

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
I have never had any problems finding good loads with the Barnes. I think some may try to use too long of a COAL for them and that might be why they have problems.I have found that the load data from their website is usually very good with just some powder tweaking.https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/257WeatherbyMagnum.pdf
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »

There's nothing wrong with that and lots of fun.  If you're looking for a "tougher" bullet I'd give the Nosler Partitions a try.  Other bullets I'd recommend is the Nosler AccuBonds, or even the Nosler E-Tips.  From what I've read and been told by a few people Barnes bullets can be real finicky and finding a load can be a test of your patients.  I don't know how true that is because I've never loaded any of them but I've heard that a few times from different people over the years.

I think you're right about the Barnes bullets, I've had to work harder to get them right than others but I think it's worth it. The Accubonds and Accubond Long Range (my preferred) seem to work well with Nosler book load data.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »
Not just a load test, but since I live in Kansas and can get multiple doe tags, it's partly to satisfy my curiosity about expansion, penetration, and venison recipes

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
Hunted a place years ago where we had a quota to fill on doe.I used the Hornady 75 grain hollow points and mainly head shot them.Shots were out to 400 and sometimes they would raise up from eating the wheat and mess up your head shot up.The 257 is an amazing killer no matter the bullet used.If you are just hunting whitetail and they aren't huge bucks.Anything out of the 257 Weatherby works.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
Not just a load test, but since I live in Kansas and can get multiple doe tags, it's partly to satisfy my curiosity about expansion, penetration, and venison recipes

I like your line of thinking.   ;)

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
The only time l have had issues with Barnes, was when l had a load with them and  regular gliding metal jacket bullets. The two don't mix well. A through cleaning and the problem was gone
The two rifles that l use Barnes in now l shoot nothing else in them and they are very accurate
For me the one time l tried Berger bullets for a target load and the new ELD-X bullets are very touchy to get to shoot in my rifles

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
I tried quite a few different bullets in my Mark V. I love Nosler bullets but wasn't able to dial them in. Hornady SST were much worse for me giving 2 inch groups. Tried the Hornady ELD but groups were still around and inch and a half.
Was starting to have doubts until I loaded the Barnes 100 TTSX.
Showed promise right away and with a little tweaking was able to get them well under 1/2 MOA.
71 Grains of RL22, 3.175 Col gave me just under 3600fps from the Weathermark.
I'm sure others would be able to get the other bullets to group but the TTSX is a great bullet and once I found that load I knew I had my hunting rounds.