Spike Camp

Weatherby 375 Magnum made in South Gate

MWarren

Weatherby 375 Magnum made in South Gate
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
Hello everyone.  New to the board, but have some questions about a Weatherby 375 Magnum rifle I just purchased.  I found it at an estate sale of a very elderly man whose elderly wife was selling it.  I paid $600 for it.  It is in perfect condition not a scratch on it and doesn't even look like it has been fired.  It has a Banner II 3-9x32 scope on a Paul Jaeger mount and a serial # 7580.  I know it is an older gun but not sure how old.  I have looked all over the place on the internet including the Weatherby site to find information on it from how to break it down correctly, what type of rounds  can be fired from it (meaning I would like to zero it but the Weatherby .375 mag rounds are almost $5 a shot), and how far of an effective kill distance does it have? Can anyone help?  Thanks and nice to be a new member.

james7mmwby

Re: Weatherby 375 Magnum made in South Gate
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
MWarren,

If it is a 375wbymag you can safely fire 375H&H rounds through it, the brass will then be re-formed for the next load. The 375 has realistic effective range of 300yds but can be pushed further but it was never intended as a long range gun. Get yourself a set of dies for 375wby and reform 375 H&H brass that will be the least expensive way to go. Wby ammo isn't cheap in any caliber, but they were never meant for plinking.
You have a real gem on your hands, could you please post a picture of it. I'll give $601.00 for it right now sight unseen  ;)

James

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
MWaren: Welcome to wby nation. With the serial# you gave it was made in 1957. You can get this info from the weatherby collectors assc. @www.weatherbycollectors.com You can safely fire 375H&H ammo in your 375Wby. I have had a 375Wby and have done this with no problems or loss of accuracy. The same thing can be done with the 300wby and the 300H&H. You cant size it back to either H&H. This is how Roy Weatherby fireformed his brass in the early days. By the way you got one hella of a deal i hope you enjoy your new toy.
Derrill
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
MWarren.$602 is my bid  ;D.Wow you got one heck of a deal.200 yd zero should be 8.2 in low at 300 and about 24 in low at 400 with factory ammo and a 300 grain bullet.You should be able to kill anything you would ever want with it.I would suggest a different scope.Welcome to Weatherbynation and let us know how it shoots.You might want to get it bore sighted to save on ammo costs since you don't know if it has been or not.Congratulations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »
If 26 inch barrel and in great condition it would bring 6 times what you have in it.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

MWarren

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
Guys, thanks for the help.  Can't wait to get her out and see what she can do.