Spike Camp

Weatherby Backcountry.

Weatherby Backcountry.
« on: November 16, 2019, 06:50:21 AM »
My Backcountry arrived at my dealer this week. I went with the 6.5-300 over the 7mm only because it was a better deal. The fit and finish is awesome and it’s super lightweight. Can’t wait to get it setup with leupold dual dovetail mounts and VX5HD scope.

Re: Weatherby Backcountry.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:10:05 AM »
Nice lookin' rifle, have fun with it.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
That’s awesome! There is a pretty good article on the rifle in the newest edition of Rifleshooter magazine.

I have one ordered in a 257 Weatherby, so your news gives me hope that mine will arrive soon!

Happy shooting!
JK

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
Congratulations, looking forward to your range report. Awesome looking rifle!
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
Sweet looking bit of kit that is.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
Congratulations!!!
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »
Congrats, good looking rifle!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »
Makes me want one! Congrats!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s about to get hectic these next four weeks for rifle bear and deer season here in PA, so it will sit in the safe until after hunting season. I am hoping it shoots the factory 127 Barnes into tiny groups. They should be deadly for anything they hit. There are so many nice features, but the new trigger tech trigger is unreal. Never had a trigger with no creep, it’s literally like breaking glass. IMO Weatherby knocked it out of the park on these new rifles.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
Looks like they changed your opening day to the Saturday after Thanksgiving instead of the following Monday. They should have done that years ago. Good luck in the Keystone State.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Looks like they changed your opening day to the Saturday after Thanksgiving instead of the following Monday. They should have done that years ago. Good luck in the Keystone State.

Yes they did and after all them saying we're going to get Sunday hunting we didn't.  Now the idea they're pushing is to get it for three Sundays and then work on making it across the board. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 09:20:27 AM »
Congratulations Brandon! Great looking rifle. I like your choice of scope too.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
I’m a little conflicted about scope choice on these Backcountry rifles. Obviously, you want to install a high quality scope and you want something that allows for a relatively long shot.

On the other hand, I hate to put a heavy scope on a relatively lightweight rifle. I’ve thought about something with a top end of about 16X, but I’m not sure if I should go Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Huskemaw (not very light)...suggestions?

Thoughts?
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
If I had one right now, I’d be thinking the exact same thing you are. The two scopes that come to the top of my mind are the Swaro Z5 and the Vortex Razor Lightweight Hunter 3-15. 100% personal preference though. If you like dialing over BDC hashes, probably hard to beat some of the Leupolds.

I have that Vortex Razor and also a swaro z3 4-12 and love them both. Amazing glass and very lightweight.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »

Yes they did and after all them saying we're going to get Sunday hunting we didn't.  Now the idea they're pushing is to get it for three Sundays and then work on making it across the board.

This coming Saturday is rifle bear and the following 3 are all deer season. Hopefully fill the freezer with 3 doe tags, buck tag, and bear tag. I am curious as to what happens next year with those 3 Sunday’s.