Spike Camp

Thoughts on compasses

Thoughts on compasses
« on: April 21, 2024, 02:07:37 PM »
Knowing the places I go well and an having an approximate sense of direction using the sun, I've never owned a good compass. My phone has one that works well, but I was just thinking about a SHTF situation where phones and other electronics are down. If you had to be on the move in such a situation and needed precise direction, a decent compass would be very valuable, especially ay night. I was wondering if anybody has one that works well and what brand/model. Cammenga compasses are known to be good and also used by the military, but are kind of pricey, starting around $75-80 and going well above 100 bucks. I don't know if spending that much is necessary.
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on compasses
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 04:05:02 PM »
I have several. There is one I have that is visible in low light that costs under 10 bucks on Midway that is worth  a lot more.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 05:54:20 PM »
Check out a company called Brunton.

www.brunton.com

They are also sold on Amazon. They sell inexpensive models to expensive models, depending on your needs.
JK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 06:04:37 AM »
Don’t use a compass. Use Inreach with the Earthmate app. Also download the area to OnX so cell service isn’t needed.
If l lost everything, can still use the sun, stars. If rain, fog, at night, it’s best to wait it out if possible.
I wouldn’t buy a cheap compass, if l was to get one. Seen to many incorrect ones.
Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 06:38:57 AM »
Thanks guys.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 06:42:58 AM »
Most roads run north/south,east/west.If out in the boonies,fences are the same way.If there are neither then you'll need the sun or if you know about local wind directions,and water flow,you can use them for reference.If your lost,sometimes the best thing to do is not get more lost.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

PARA45

• View Profile
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 07:01:11 AM »
A local topographic map is a decent idea as well.  :)

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 08:18:44 AM »
A lensatic compass costs between $25-95, depending on where you buy it. Between the roads generally being laid out in cardinal directions and knowing their sequence for naming, I pretty much know where I am in the boonies. OnX is a great help too. In a SHTF situation the satellites and cell towers might be out so don't rely too much on electrons to keep you oriented.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 09:21:41 AM »
After getting lost in the Big Cypress in Florida, I never left home without one.  A retired Marine gave me one similar to the one below. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cammenga-Phosphorescent-Waterproof-Backpacking-Orienteering/dp/B000E90E44/ref=asc_df_B000E90E44?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80883013965980&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482478462229&psc=1&msclkid=5fa886aca8631b3afe44e08af5dc5023
       I've carried an Engineer Lensatic style compass in my backpack for many, many years. It's an old style that has reflective shinny aluminum on the inside cover (the part that opens) that surrounds the sight wire and is used for sunlight signaling. As mentioned above, you can't always depend on electronics and batteries.
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 11:30:02 AM »
With the Russians jamming GPS in Eastern Europe, a decent compass is a good idea.   ;D

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 11:41:48 AM »
Come and take it.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 06:30:59 AM »
Thanks to Uncle Sam back in 1969 he taught me to read a topo map and to use a compass which I have one similar to the one I was issued while serving.
I took a first time trip to Montana to hunt Elk and got the old compass out and found the arrow was locked up and didn't have time to get another before I left so I bought a watch with hands on it.
Yeah if you know your star position and sun positioning at the time of day or night you can get a good idea what direction you are headed.
My Dad used to take me hunting and send me out into the woods at dark 0500 and tell me to be back at the drop off point by 1730 which was usually after sun set and dark, so I have very good instincts for direction.
Wondering around in unfamiliar woods was not a problem for me but wondering around in areas that has been changed do to development is and I got lost last week trying to find a fire hall where I was supposed to attend a banquet so I had to use a gps to find it.
Having a compass is a good thing.
TD

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 09:43:03 AM »
I know from experience that having a good compass can perhaps save your life. I once did a fly in drop camp hunt in Alaska for caribou. First day I made camp and did some scouting. Second day hiked to a distant mountain on a beautiful clear day and shot a nice bull. At the kill site I could see my camp in the far distance, so I took a bearing on my compass. 330 degrees. I quartered my animal and began backpacking it back to my camp--perhaps 2 miles. On the next day I hiked back to the kill site and loaded my last pack when the fog rolled in so thick I could not see more than perhaps 30 yards, nor could I see any landmarks or my camp. I took out my compass and took a reading on a tree, exactly 330 degrees and walked to the tree, took another 330 bearing to another tree and so on. In about an hour, I walked right into my camp. Perfect navigation in thick fog, I thought. Its easy to get turned around anytime, so I always carry my compass when hunting.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:50:08 AM by Ridgerunner »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 05:44:18 PM »
Once when elk hunting in the mountains. Rain and fog moved in. I knew the creek l was standing next to ran right pass my camp, l just didn’t know how far it was. Pulled out my “New GPS”. After a bit of looking for satellites. All l got was a “?” on the screen. Never trust anything completely.
Mike