Spike Camp

YOUR most desired game to hunt in Africa

kfadel

Re: YOUR most desired game to hunt in Africa
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
I went to Namibia in late June 2008 on my first African hunt. Plains game this time as a starter. 2 weeks at Holstein Ranchnear Outjo in northern Namibia in central plateau area (kinda near Etosha Park). Great numbers of Gemsbok (oryx), common and mountain zebra, giraffe, springbok, eland, blue and black wildebeast, warthog and hartebeast. Leopard too. Lots of other stuff, but less populous; no shootable trophy kudu and impala as killed off from 2 years of drought (we later found out).

My list was gemsbok, kudu, mountain zebra, wildebeast, warthog, and whatever else was a target my pocketbook could afford. All with my 300 Wby. with a Swift A-frame bullet at 3100 fps. All hard hunting and nothing from the truck. Also sent a Boomslang to hades without head; A black mamba ran through my PH's feet and I missed seeing that thank heavens. We saw puff aders were too. Next time I may take my snake leggings!
On a 10 point scale my first hunt to Africa was an 7/8.

I want to go back to Africa for kudu, eland and sable. If I strike it rich I will go for a leopard and Cape buffalo some day. Eland is worth shooting at a farm in US for the meat as it beats beef filet mignon easily in my book. I am told it is a tough hunt in Africa. My 2 cents.

Re: Eland in RSA
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »
Congratulations on your first safari.  I have wanted to hunt leopard in Namibia.  Eland was a very tough hunt for my father and I as we hunted kwazulu natal province in South AFrica in 2004.  We were able to harvest two large trophy elands; however, it was an exhausting adventure and all that great meat went to our ranch owner.  The other species we harvested were shared with our zulu guides.  The ranch owner was not so generous with the Eland.  I heartily recommend an Eland hunt in South Texas, so that the meat can be saved.  Congratulations on a successful safari.

bsquared7

SkinnyPete

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Dangerous game:
Cape Buffalo
Red Forrest Buffalo
Not REALLY interested in cats or Phunt. But if it was free, I would go lion and Phunt.

Plains game:
Sable
Roan
Lord Derby Eland (or Livingstone Eland)
Kudu
Impala
Zebra (either is great for me)
Hartebeste
Waterbuck
Bushbuck
Nyala
Bongo is a dream, quite far removed I am sure financially. But as for a strikingly beautiful animal I can't think of something more than Bongo.

sp6x6

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »
Dangerous game- all of them
Plains- all of them
In 03 I arrowed 16 animals in S. Africa
Im a Montana boy biggest dream B&C elk on the wall, been trying for 30 yrs.

dalbo

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »
Dangerous game:
Leopard
Buff

Plains Game:
Gembsock
Kudu
Impala
Sable

rbrusca

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Going to hunt the Limpopo region in SA for ten days in June of 2010.  Taking my son as a college grad present.  We are hunting Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok,  Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog.   Red Hartebeest, Waterbuck and Blesbuck as potential add ons.

Not going for any dangerous game, but if I were it would be Cape Buff and no other. 
Suspect it will be alot different than my Montana Elk Hunts.  For one, I won't be layered in so many cloths that I look like the Michelin Man with a rifle.  I will be carrying a 340 WBY Mark V sporter  and my son will have a Browning A-bolt in 338 Win Mag. That should do us well but I am  also bringing along a lever Marlin 450 just for fun.  Hopefully something will get close enough for me to use it.   

Atamm3106

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to travel to Africa a few times.  I have taken spring hare and dove.  I always thought I would take a buff.  In fact, I thought my husband and I would "double down" on buff.  However, an experience with lion changed my mind on dangerous game.  So, my husband had to take his buff without me being by him.  I was back at camp, having a well-deserved rest.  My dream list is as follows:

Plains Game:
1. Impala
2. Gemsbok
3. Kudu
4. Hartebeest

Dangerous Game:
1. See above

There's not really an animal that I wouldn't hunt.  The only thing that scares me is dangerous game.  But, given time, who knows?  I definitely agree with eland being delicious.  I like it better than elk, and I absolutely love elk!  We had eland filets, stuffed with white sauce and mushrooms, and cooked on the braii.  Mmmmm,  one of my best meals ever!  It was finished up with chocolate cake, drizzled with custard.   A perfect end to a perfect day in Africa.  I can almost hear the doves now.  : )

cleothegreat

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
Kudu.

I have taken buffalo ( cape and forest ), gemsbok, zebra, roan, and impala.
The most satisfaction I ever had with any successful hunt was Kudu. I don't know why,
but I rank that as top trophy. Kudu is also very good for dining with a dry, red wine.
May I suggest a .300 wby with 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets? I shot through a Southern Greater Kudu bull in 2008 at 265 with this combination and he ran 35 yds and dropped dead.

moosemike

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »
My list;
Dangerous game                   Plains game                  No interest
1 Elephant                        1. Gemsbok                    warthog
2 Lion                               2. Kudu                         waterbuck
3 Cape Buff                        3. Sable