Spike Camp

Starting out

james.alan.kennedy

Starting out
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:25:11 AM »
Looking for suggestions on which bow that would be good to start out with for hunting Deer.

Big Redhead

Re: Starting out
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:21:27 AM »
There are lots of good used bows for sale out there, at least in my area (Michigan). Compared to the new models, they are a terrific bargain. I was in a store last weekend that had at least 20 good, modern, used compounds, all priced under $200.

I would not buy a used bow sight unseen.

If you must buy new, you might like the low price of the Parker Buckhunter. I own one of these and have killed many deer with it. It is lightweight, high performance, short, and costs around $300 for the complete package. It is not the smoothest-shooting nor the fastest bow on the market, but I like mine.

If you want to spend more money and get a higher-end bow, there are many good ones. Look at bows by Parker, Hoyt, and Matthews.

All bows, regardless of cost, have positive and negative traits. Spending more money does not necessarily mean you will get THE bow with nothing but positive characteristics. The only way to find a bow you like is to go to a well-stocked retailer that has many makes and models in stock, and shoot them. If you go at this time of year, I suggest you take a day off from work and go in the morning when the store opens. They are very busy right now - just before deer season.
_

tttt9r

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:19:59 AM »
There are so many great bows being manufactured these days, it boils down to your budget and finding a bow that is comfortable for you to shoot (this is extremely important as it will give you confidence in making the shot).  Go to your nearest archery pro shop and shoot different bows until you find what feels right.

I shoot a Browning Illusion with 70# limbs with draw weight set at 66 lbs and draw length of 28 inches.  I use a QAD Ultra HD drop away rest and a Spot Hogg Hunter 5-pin sight.  I prefer shooting Carbon Express Maximum Hunter 350 spine carbon arrows fletch with 4" right feathers (yes that's right, feathers) and 100 grain tips.  Favorite broadhead is the G5 Montec.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »
JAK,

They are both right there is so much out there that its hard to boil it down.  You can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers today.  Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech (my personal favorite), PSE, Archery Research, Browning, Bear Archery.  One bow I will mention that I don't own but have shot allot is the new Truth bow by Bear archery, for the price this bow has all the features you could want starting out and it is very forgiving.  I hope that my two cents helps in your decision. Good luck and good hunting!
"Aim Small, Miss Small"

avagadro

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
I notice you do not state specifically what type of bow you're looking for .... while more challenging, you may want to give traditional archery a look see.  I use a 55# long bow at 29" with cedar arrows of my own construct.  I'm not saying its a better way to go, takes lots more practice, but FOR ME (not all) it is far more rewarding.  I haven't had the chance to bow hunt in the last 6-7 years, but next year I think I'm going to get back into the game.

whitetail

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
 Yes i agree with anagadro i would start with a long bow at least 45 # draw learn to shoot this type bow and in the case you get a compound bow with all the bells and whisles like my P.S.E. and you break off the pin sights you don't have to go home. Stay and hunt because you learned how to shoot with out the sights not only that regular pratice with the long bow or the recurve you condition your arms and shoulders and believe me if you have to hold draw on a deer even with a compound bow for a long time you'll understand what i'm talking about.
                                                                    whitetail

Traditional Archery
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 12:05:57 PM »
Question: Who is still considered the greatest long bow archer of all time?
Hints:
1) It was not Robin Hood.
2) He lived in the 20th Century.
3) He unassisted and without backup hunted elephants with a 110 lb long bow that he made himself.
4) He was technical advisor and he appeared in the 1938 movie "The Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn.
5) It was him who actually preformed the shot in the movie of splitting the arrow on the target.

As for myself I use a Marlin 45# 58" Mamba recurve bow for target practice and exercise and I use a Great Plains 80# 60" custom recurve bow for hunting. I hope to be able to get a Black Widow 80# 62" custom long bow when I can afford it.

canuck

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
Well first the answer to the question is none other than Howard Hill.
Second....regardless of what bow you decide on make sure that your decision is an informed one....all manufactures especially the top three Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt make awesome bows.  I shoot a Mathews Switchback and my nine year old son shoots a Parker Buckshot package which is excellent for him.
I can't stress enough go to a pro-shop and get properly fitted for draw length and proper draw weight.  That is the only place to really trust getting a used bow...not that everyone is dishonest but some people will not give you all the information on that bow for example if it has been dry fired....from the bow shop he/she should have inspected it and fixed any problems if there were any to begin with.
You don't have to go top of the line, but be prepared that if you like it you will want to upgrade sooner than later.
The best of luck to you in your quest.
Shane

Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
starting out
 I know in this day and time there is alot of options out there and most of them are fine
its what you fill is the best and what your comfort zone is but every one has there opinon so heres mine when i started bow hunting my fater started me with a recurve and he always said son if you can shot that bow and hit you will be ahead of the bow game when i turn 16 he bought me a jennines t star which does not have any let off and i must say i was a good shot with the recurve and with the coumpond deer didnt have a chance and now iam starting my son with the same recurve i did and i think you should start  there as well learn the basics then go into technolgy 
                          E Miller

canuck

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »
James have not heard from you since you posted.....have you made a decision and if so let us here about the new toy.
Shane