Spike Camp

new New 270 wby, what power scope

new New 270 wby, what power scope
« on: December 24, 2019, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi, just picked up my new MK V sporter in 270 WBY. Myself and my sons will be going on an antelope hunt in Wyoming< what power scope does everyone recommend for 300 yd or so shots. Also would a duplex reticle be ok? I only hunt whitetails right now, duplex works fine for the shots I have....150 yds at max

224KING

• View Profile
Re: new New 270 wby, what power scope
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 06:48:28 AM »
Min 3.5x10.Duplex would be a plus I would think.I would buy a range finder to take on the hunt.Good tool to have especially for an antelope hunt.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 07:00:17 AM »
I planning on buying a range finder, I'm NOT going to be doing any dialing. I'm thinking I should be able to hold center of body and be able to hit in vitals out to 300. I think the MPBR is something like 342 yds. I'll have to verify at the range but just brought up for any advice. Looking at a Swarovski Z5 or a VX5 HD

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
I have a Zeiss 3-12 scope on my 270 Weatherby and it has served well.  Longest shot w this rifle/scope combo has been 200 yds, and I wouldn’t hesitate a 300 yds shot.  Which is my personal max distance on a white tail size animal.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:56:02 AM »
I live in Wyoming and have killed many antelope. Your 270 Weatherby is a great caliber for the job. I would look for something in that 3-15X or 4-16X range. I think I have a 4.5-14X Leupold in my 270 Weatherby.
JK

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »
I would go with a Leupold VX-3i in 4.5x14 with the duplex crosshairs.  My Brother has a few of these scopes are very clear, well made, and have a lifetime warranty.  I know you said you're not going to be doing any dialing but MidwayUSA has this scope on sale now with the CDS (Custom Dial System) and duplex crosshairs on sale for $399.99 which is a really good deal considering their regular price is $599.99 and the list price is $779.99.  Personally for that price I wouldn't hesitate to go with that scope.  Also you don't have to use the Custom Dial System or even order the free dials if you don't want to.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362253985
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 08:02:39 AM »
3.5-10 or 4.5-14 with the duplex, all you need. I use the 4.5-14 on mine and works perfect. The 270 Wby loaded with either 110gr barnes or any 130 gr bullet, with a 300 yard zero,will easily hit any speed goat, out to 350 yards by just putting the crosshairs right on them.

Rob

zonie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
Wyoming Hunter,  catskinner, Chris338378,   + 1,     if it were me, and I'm thinking out loud of what if I happen to need something a little more precise down the road for longer ranges I'd opt for a scope in the 3 to 4.5 X on the lower end and 16 X  on the upper end for any all around scope,  PLUS it would be CDS or Kenton Dial adaptable.   You can always use the duplex for most of your hunting to MPBR and  still have the  CDS or Kenton already set-up ready to go for that off chance of some monster a little farther than your MPBR or future hunts.   Why would I choose the CDS or Kenton dials they are fast to dial up more so than clicking up for people that don't click up elevation all the time.   Rangfinders are an absolute must have at least from my thinking.  Quality Bino's and Spotting Scope  in that order.   Antelope are hard to judge for me especially when you are getting up in book horn size,  more variables when looking at really big antelope when horn length is  in the 16 plus range, could be a skinny 16.  Range finders I have an old Leica but my son has the newer Vortex and I kind of like his better than my mine,  but to be honest I haven't looked at current Leica R/F's to make any thumbs up or down.  Suffice to say range finders are a must especially in wide open areas where there just isn't any references to distances.    Like I've been saying in a couple previous posts in open areas and especially out west where we live in AZ,  500 yds is becoming the new normal just a few weeks ago friends took 2 cow elk at 600 yds using 6.5 Creedmoor with Hdy 143 eldx,  my friends and I were just talking about that just prior and we were thinking 600 yds was about as far as we would want to shoot an elk with the creedmoor about 600 yds and not because of the distance but rather  horse power at that distance on this large of game animal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:14:43 AM by zonie »

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
Can't go wrong with the Swarovski Z5.  I've shot several of them extensively and they always impress.  The clarity is exceptional, and they dial reliably when paired with the ballistic turret and a dial from Outdoorsmans.
BPH

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
A x9 scope would be the minimum for wide open hunting areas. Nearly all my hunting is in such places. I have a couple of x12 scopes. The difference between looking at a stationary animal at x9 compared to x12 is not that much. The amount my rifle seems to move at x12 is noticeable. It took me a while to ease into that setting. Of course you don’t have to shoot at max magnification. I know it’s simply the increased magnification making it appear to be moving more.
I agree about the no clicking to make the shot. I don’t need math under pressure for making the right number of elevation clicks. I suggest a 300 yard zero for the 270 Wby.
A laser range finder showning true ballistic range is a must. Range is one thing. The ballistic range is another thing.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
Sounds like I'll stay with something around 3x15. Anybody think the Swaro is brighter than the Leupold?

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
Call me old fashioned, but I use the Leupy VX3i 2.5 x 8.0 x 36 on my 270 Bee. I've killed lotsa lopes, deer (muley and whitetails) a couple of Rocky Mtn rams and a very long range Merriam's turkey (when rifles were legal in AZ). My longest shot was 395 yds by RF. I keep it set at 4x and have never felt the need to go higher. Like I said, Old Fashioned. GJ

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »
I don't, they're pretty equal to each other in brightness.  The other thing I like about Leupold is they're cheaper. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
Think I'll visit Cabelas fri and check them out. I do know warranty on Leupold is way better

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Not sure of your budget but a good range finder and a Night Force or Scorpion scope are a great team for long range shooting.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member