Spike Camp

Suppressors

sschefer

Suppressors
« on: November 12, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Doing some research on suppressors, does anyone here use them? I've read the technical articles and I know how NFA works so I'm looking more for someone that may have used them and what their thoughts are about them.

Re: Suppressors
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
I've use SureFire's suppressors at work and they work very well, it makes an AR-15 extremely quiet even inside a building.  The issue I have with them is the price which is over $1,200 or more depending on the dealer you get it from.  From a hunter's perspective I don't see a major need for them and I'd rather take that money and put it towards a new Weatherby. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
I have shot some on rifles my friends own. They are not Hollywood quiet but they do make a difference.They really shine with subsonic ammo where you do not get the super sonic crack.I am now in wait mode after sending in my money and paper work.Maybe up to an 8 month wait. After researching I went with Sig Sauer. One in 7.62 to cover everything from 300 Win Mag down to 223 and one for rimfires.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

sschefer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
I have shot some on rifles my friends own. They are not Hollywood quiet but they do make a difference.They really shine with subsonic ammo where you do not get the super sonic crack.I am now in wait mode after sending in my money and paper work.Maybe up to an 8 month wait. After researching I went with Sig Sauer. One in 7.62 to cover everything from 300 Win Mag down to 223 and one for rimfires.

The Sig is the one I'm favoring at the moment also. I'm not sending my B's in for barrel threading since to me that's sort of sacrilege. I do have a couple of AR-15's and an AR-10 (LR308) that would benefit from them at the range and my Bergara B14 HMR would probably like one. My Johnny Cash Cadillac 300 Wby is threaded  5/8x24 so it would work there too.  My X-Bolt 300 WSM is also 5/8x24 threaded so I could use it there.

See, the thing is, I have a love hate relationship with muzzle brakes. I like them for what they do for my shoulder and for getting me back on target quick but I hate them for what they do to anyone nearby. Consequently, if the range is crowded then I don't shoot with them and I don't hunt with them unless I'm alone and just shooting yotes and other varmints. Sound suppression isn't my main goal but it would be nice if it works well at that too.