Spike Camp

Savannah my faithful companion

Re: Savannah my faithful companion
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
So sorry for your loss. Savannah has blessed you with some beautiful memories.
Duane

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
Thanks again gents for the kind words.  My wife has been having a real tough time dealing with our loss.  She has been second guessing our decision, even though it was the right one, she is having a hard time dealing with it.  This weekend has been tough because we've been in the house more, and can't overlook the fact that she is not around anymore.  Time is our friend, and our hearts will heal, but her wonderful memories will live with us until the day we meet again. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 06:45:06 AM »
Derrill, thats just about the best source of solace that I've read to help convince us of a better place for our beloved "Best friends and companions. I've had a few Best Friends and its a great feeling to think we will all be reunited one day. Thx, Dan
Oscar, so sorry for your loss. :'(
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
i get teary eyes every time i read the rainbow bridge. A good friend told me about the rainbow bridge around ten years ago. I reading Oscars post last night about his wife having a hard accepting the loss of Savannah and remembered the rainbow bridge.Thanks Danno glad you liked that and hope others do as well. I hope to see a few friends when i cross the bridge.
Derrill

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
So sorry for your loss.  :'(  I know exactly how you and the little Lady feel having gone through this a year ago. We got a new pup right away and it sure helps the hurt. :(

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »
Excellent. That is wonderful Derril. Thanks very much for sharing. I know this will be a comfort to Oscar and Mrs. Oscar and many of us that have lost our “best friend”.
Duane

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
That made my day Derrill.

Oscar,only time will heal your heart.Think often,and talk about the good times with your wife.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 07:04:02 PM »
Derrill, thank you so much for the poem.  I showed it to my wife, and she got teary eye, but were tears of happiness.  I thank you for thinking of us, and sending it to us.  Yesterday my wife had a better day, and we were actually laughing of all the things Savannah did when she was a puppy, and as an adult.

We have two other pooches to keep us busy.  A 90 lbs female Belgium Shephard named Lucky, and a black Shi-Tzu named Oreo.  Both are rescue, and have turned out to be excellent family members.  The reason my wife was so heartbroken was because Savannah was the first birthday gift I gave her, so there were a lot of emotions tied in one bundle that was Savannah. 

Give you guys a little hunting trip about Savannah.  Our first time together in South Dakota, she was around 16 months old.  I had shot several birds, but the other more seasoned dogs would get the birds before she did.  Then in the afternoon, I shot a bird, and she took off like a bandit.  It was just her and the bird.  The pheasant was not dead, and took off running.  Now the chase was on, and Savannah stayed on his tail until all I saw was a bunch of down go in the air and Savannah triumphantly running to me with a pheasant in her mouth and a very proud look on her face.  She had figure out why we were there, and the little light bulb and the instinct to hunt was turned on.  From that day on, she was hair on fire chasing pheasants through the fields of South Dakota.  She was two different dogs, at home a very mellow I don't care if the world ends type of lab, and on the field,  one on full afterburner chasing birds.  She had a great nose, and the softest mouth I had seen on a lab.  I'll take a picture of the two roosters I have mounted, that she retrieve for me.  She couldn't see me pick up a shotgun, because she would be glued on me and ready to hunt. 

Thanks for reading!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing the memories, lots of dog lovers here that will enjoy .
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
i am glad Oscar that you and your wife and everyone else likes the rainbow bridge. I get tears every time i read it.
Derrill

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 01:09:51 AM »
sorry for your loss Oscar

Rob

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
Oscar, I've been out of town and out of reach of internet a bunch over the past couple of weeks.  Just saw this.  I hope you and your wife are finding solace in time passing.  I think the toughest thing I've ever had to do is to help an old friend of mine (the four-legged kind of friend) at the end of his life.  A good dog is one of the best examples of how God loves us for us to see in this world.  Unconditional doesn't begin to describe the faithful love my dogs have given me over the years.  Know that you did the right thing and Savannah is waiting to hunt with you in the fields of heaven, friend.

In the meantime, hunt close, Savannah, and GET THE BIRDS, GIRL!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.