Spike Camp

257 Vanguard won't eject/problem with service department

Re: 257 Vanguard won't eject/problem with service department
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
As an update (and sorry to throw a wrench in your BS detector):
I finally heard from Weatherby sometime in the second week of October. They once again told me that the tech could not replicate the problem. I asked them to send the gun back. I got the gun back and it works like a completely different gun. It throws shells 3plus feet across the room, without fail, every single time. Which was the goal in the first place. Again, the gun simply would not do this before or I wouldn't have sent it in. It went from a gun that wouldn't eject to one that will eject exactly as it's supposed to.

So I still don't buy it that they couldn't replicate the problem. Some part of the action was either replaced or cleaned differently than I did. I just with that they would have been transparent with me. So as of now, I have no complaint with Weatherby other than a lack of transparency. I would have preferred them to tell me that I didn't clean it properly and that's all it took, if that was the reason that it wasn't ejecting. 

The reality is that I don't spend much time on internet forums (no time, actually). I was busy actually hunting all fall for real things, not hunting for replies on a forum. All of the seasons recently ended here in WA, so I finally took a second to provide an update.

So, honestly, to hell with some of you guys. You are the reason that people don't get on forums for fear that they keyboard warriors come out in full force. I appreciate those of you who responded in earnest though. I'm looking forward to putting the Vortex back on, dialing in my Berger loads, and getting some trigger time in.

JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

Josh M

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
You wanted an update and I gave it. Way Late, I know, but like I said, I got busy actually hunting.
The rifle wouldn’t eject when I sent it off, and it ejects exactly as it’s supposed to now. It’s the same bolt (same 803 inscribed on the underside of the bolt handle), and the extractor looks the same. But the techs did something to it (cleaned it, replaced a spring, I don’t know). Whatever they did, it works and I’m happy with it now.
Nothing I say is going to make you believe me and that’s fine, I suppose. I think I could ship some of you my rifle for free and you still wouldn’t believe I own a Vanguard or that it had problems. But instead of being so paranoid on here, I’d suggest believing a guy who has a question. Another responder to this thread said he had a 257 Vanguard that did the same thing, so it’s not like I’m just making something up for responses or whatever would be gained by being a troll.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
If the problem persists after you put the vortex on it, then go back to a post by 224king where he asked if the ejected shell was hitting the windage knob.  I know you said you watched it and it wasn't, but I had a rifle built on a Mcmillan G30 action that wouldn't eject from the get go.  I took it back to the guy who built it and he said the brass is hitting the windage knob and bouncing back into the action.  I thought he was crazy but there were little brass marks on the windage knob and if you put your finger there you could feel it hit.  It happened so fast you couldn't see it. 
BPH

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
Well I guess I'll be that guy once again and throw out the BS flag on this one.  We haven't heard any updates, each and every one of this guys posts are about this problem his rifle has, and to top it off he joined the site on September 22, threw up six posts about the rifle's problem, and hasn't been on here since October 02.  Each and every one of these things raises the BS flag higher up the flag pole for me.  Maybe I'm being a bit tough but we've seen stuff like this before and every time it turned out to be BS.

Well, here's a plus one with Josh's same problem.  Brand new outta the box Vanguard S2 in 257, never fired.  Doesn't matter how hard I throw the bolt, most times it barely clears the action and remains inside, or just limply falls out.  This is on empty fired/sized cases that chamber fine. 

Not sure why you felt the need to be the BS police.