Spike Camp

.375H&H Vanguard

.375H&H Vanguard
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
I recently puchased a standard Vanguard in .375H&H magnum. I have sadly been away from the Weatherby campfire for a couple years and this was my first step back in. A Mark V Weathermark 7mmWby magnum is next.

This rifle is a pure joy to shoot! The first box of 20 were Federal Premium with 300 grain TBBC. They went sub moa but for hunting here in the states I wanted a lighter bullet. I found some Speer 235 grain Hot Cor. Loaded with 70 grains of Varget they shot well but were underpressured and left a lot of soot on the case. I upped the load to 72 grains (book max is 74) and the soot problem was gone and they shoot even better.

The Vanguard has got to be the most media ignored rifle on the market and one of, if not the best, values out there.

Anyone else have experience with the .375 Vanguard?

Re: .375H&H Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
Welcome back!! The 375 is on my list as the next rifle to buy, unless Weatherby comes out with the 7-378 Weatherby at SHOT show.
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Yes as old as the .375 H&H is she just can't be beaten. I don't have one in a vanguard, I do have several vanguards though. Mine is a Mark V DGR. I was going to rechamber to .375 Weatherby but thought I will leave it as is because it is so accurate with my hand loaded 300gr Woodliegh PP. Plus ammo is easier to find.
I also have one in a CZ 602 but don't like that rifle as it's stock is to big and bulky for me. So will be rebarreling to .375 RUM one day I think.
Congrats on your new Vanguard and the old war horse .375. Hope you have many exciting hunts with it.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
I was going to get a CZ 550 Safari in .375 to go with my .416 Rigby but that rifle is just overbuilt for the .375 I feel so went with the Vanguard. Haven’t regretted it for a second. Much lighter and easy to pack around than the CZ. It would be interesting to see Weatherby bring the Vanguard out in .458Win mag.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
I have been looking at one of those myself.  I do not know why I need one, other than I like big hammers.  Down here in the south I am not sure what I would use it for, but hell the coolness factor alone may be the best reason ever.

Hope it shoots well.  Would be curious to find out what the recoil is like.  I have a 338 Win Mag in a Mossberg Patriot and it was surprisingly a pleasant shooting experience.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »
I have been looking at one of those myself.  I do not know why I need one, other than I like big hammers.  Down here in the south I am not sure what I would use it for, but hell the coolness factor alone may be the best reason ever.

Hope it shoots well.  Would be curious to find out what the recoil is like.  I have a 338 Win Mag in a Mossberg Patriot and it was surprisingly a pleasant shooting experience.

If you can shoot a 338 Win mag with 250 gr bullets, you can shoot a 375 H&H. I never found much difference in recoil between the two. I have both, and if I had to pick between the two, I would take the 375 H&H every time. It's a great old caliber.  8)

Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »
Congratulations. Everybody needs a .375. Why? Just because. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »

I feel the same way
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
+2
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 11:11:32 PM »

That is sooo true my friend! That is why I own 2 haha and a .375 Ruger lol
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »

I have had a S2 Vanguard in .338 Win Mag and I’ll be honest with you. I will shoot the .375 any day over the .338. I found the recoil on the .338 to be sharp whereas the H&H is more of a push. Just a little over $600 at Buds. It really was/is a great deal. If you find your Mossberg pleasant you will have zero issue with the 375.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »

If you can shoot a 338 Win mag with 250 gr bullets, you can shoot a 375 H&H. I never found much difference in recoil between the two. I have both, and if I had to pick between the two, I would take the 375 H&H every time. It's a great old caliber.  8)

Rob

Totally agree.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »

I have had a S2 Vanguard in .338 Win Mag and I’ll be honest with you. I will shoot the .375 any day over the .338. I found the recoil on the .338 to be sharp whereas the H&H is more of a push. Just a little over $600 at Buds. It really was/is a great deal. If you find your Mossberg pleasant you will have zero issue with the 375.

I saw those at Bud's and that is a good deal in my opinion.  OK OK it is on the list now for sure. LOL

That little Mossberg is a tack driver with 180 and 200 Grain accubonds.  Nice little pig gun for here in the south.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »
My .375 is the .375 Ruger. Seemed like every time I tried to get one of the Vanguard rifles in .375 H&H they were sold out. I was trying to find the least expensive route for a .375 and my Mossberg Patriot was on sale at Buds for something like $320 or $330 before transfer. I like it but my scope slipped in my rings.
I really really want to get dies. There is so much potential with the .375 whether in the H&H,Ruger,Remington Ulta or Wetherby(378). I was surprised that I shot a whole box on my bench and still had use of my right side. The .375 isn’t that bad at all.
Congrats on your purchase cause you were one of the lucky ones to find and purchase one of the Vanguard rifle in .375 H&H.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
My .375 is the .375 Ruger. Seemed like every time I tried to get one of the Vanguard rifles in .375 H&H they were sold out. I was trying to find the least expensive route for a .375 and my Mossberg Patriot was on sale at Buds for something like $320 or $330 before transfer. I like it but my scope slipped in my rings.
I really really want to get dies. There is so much potential with the .375 whether in the H&H,Ruger,Remington Ulta or Wetherby(378). I was surprised that I shot a whole box on my bench and still had use of my right side. The .375 isn’t that bad at all.
Congrats on your purchase cause you were one of the lucky ones to find and purchase one of the Vanguard rifle in .375 H&H.

I haven’t checked today but they have never shown less than 5 at Buds and a couple times 10+