Spike Camp

Berger VLD Hunting

NMARKANITE

Berger VLD Hunting
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
Anybody ever use the 190 or 210's Match Hunting bullet's in your 300 ? Just curious how well they worked in any 300 ?  ;D

trappers son

Re: Berger VLD Hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »
you should check out the target 215 hybrids or 230 hybrids. the hunting bullets have a thinner jacket and come apart easier than the target bullets. hybrids have better bc's and the hybrid design works better than vld's with rifles that have a lot of freebore like the weatherby. They are more forgiving. make sure you check bullet concentricity if you are looking for accurate loads because if the bullet doesn't hit the rifling right it causes problems with flyers. That 230 would be a beast in a 30-378.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
You could go over to the Weatherby Rifles Forum (weatherby.dk) and run a search.  I believe Broz over there has used the 190s and 210s extensively, among others.  I just searched for "Berger 190" and got a number of hits including one discussion of using them in the 300Wby with 53 replies.  Worth a look.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

NMARKANITE

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
Hey thanks a bunch Dubyam great idea, not sure they will be tuff enough but was just looking for something new to try ! Have not been over that way in a while ! Just looking for that 300 Win Mag Accumark a tuff bullet for out to 3 or 4 hundred yds for mule deer !

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Out to 300-400yds, you don't really see any advantage to the VLD profile.  Trajectory doesn't start to really open up until after 400, and in some chamberings, well after.

What bullets would I consider for your criteria of up close to 400yds, for Mule Deer?  I'll make some assumptions that with Muleys in mind, the 165gr is a viable weight class.  That said, I'd strongly consider the Nosler E-Tip, Partition, or Accubond, the Hornady Interbond or GMX, the Barnes TTSX, the Swift Scirocco or A-Frame, or even the Speer Grand Slam.  Any of these is going to be good up close and still good out to 400yds.  With the monoliths, velocity will still be around 2400fps, which I suspect is ample to open up on a Muley.  The monoliths will certainly hold together well at close range without blowing apart, also.

With a 165gr at 3200fps (very achievable in the 300WinMag) you could set it up with a 2.5" peak trajectory above point of aim, and have somewhere around 290-300yds of point blank range with no holdover.  At 400, drop is likely to be roughly a foot or so, meaning you'd hold right on the top line of the deer's back and hit right in the middle of the vitals.  350yds would just about split the difference between "hold dead on" and "hold top of back" and you'd be well handled all the way out to 400.  That's a match made in heaven. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:53:22 AM by dubyam »
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

ccc23454

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
I think Duby is right on! I have never used the VLD's because a buddy tried them with great accuracy and great BC but marginal on game performance and I believe in good hunting bullets and will never catch me shooting animals with match bullets. my pick in any 30 mag as I have always said from 50-800 yards is the 200 accubond, its awesome: accurate, good BC and on game performance is remarkable.  if you want to shot a lead bullet try them , I doubt you regret it.

chris

alseg

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
Both of my recent Bucks were Berger VLDs 168gr .308s
One was a two-shotter at >300yds, the other direct heart hit but at less than 100yds.

trappers son

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
that win mag will shoot those vlds just fine... it doesn't have the same weatherby freebore that makes those bullets finicky without a lot of time and load work up. The berger match bullets are designed differently than other brands. they have stronger jackets so they will hold up better than the hunting bullets.. You won't have any problems with hunting vlds at shorter ranges on mullies at that weight of bullet. It will tear them apart near or far and dump all the energy into the animal. Not good for elk but mullies are fine. Shot placement has more to do with terminal performance than anything else. I personally like cup core bullets for animals smaller than elk. I have never shot an animal that has stepped more than 10 feet from where it was shot and it cuts out the tracking all together with a proper shot.
Broz is known near and far for his hunting capabilities and if he trust something it is through lots of experience and wisdom gained from trial and error. Any choice you make will work just fine as long as your gun likes it and you know the strengths and shortcomings of your bullet choice.
 The advantage of high bc bullets is the way it cuts the wind variable. A lighter bullet will hit just as hard but the wind becomes more of a factor if it isn't read perfectly or if it is changing direction and speed. I think you are on the right track. A sturdy prone position and plenty of practice and you will come out with a nice mully and a good story to tell us.

fuonlynu

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
Since Berger is right down the street from me I went there to buy bullets right from the source but after we talked for a while and he asked what are you shooting now? I replied Noslers, he looked surprised and asked why do you want to switch? I left saying thank you and no bullets in hand.

NMARKANITE

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/30-Cal-185-Grain-Match-Grade-VLD-Hunting_p_89.html
I was looking at something like these above as they have some good reviews and are listed as a hunting bullet not a target bullet! I guess that Berger employee did not know they made hunting bullets or he just did not know ? Did he specify why he would not use Berger Hunting bullets ? Construction ? Lost animal ? Poor performance ?
I can understand why he might like Noslers as they are fine rounds as ii like them as well but Berger makes Hunting rounds as well and it seems a few people are using them with success ?

zonie

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
Shannon is correct Berger match bullets have a slightly thicker jacket than their hunting bullet.  This is not uncommon with other match bullet makers,  one reason is to reduce rotational stresses put on match bullets to withstand jacket to core separation or core slippage.   These cold swaged hunting Bergers are made to come apart and if that's what you are looking for give them a try. 

NMARKANITE

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the info Ron as I was reading up on them and not sure about them! Never used any Berger's but learning a load of information and I guess it's what ya want outta a bullet and I can see where this performance could be a benefit! I had not been to Weatherbydk forum in a while and was researching 300 win Mag info !  Had not realized it had been 2 years since I had been to that site ! Also did remember meeting Oscar before he went on his African Safari! Sorry Oscar I guess getting old happens as fast as CRS ! Appreciate everyone's thoughts as I had been wanting a 300 Win Mag but never thought it would be a Weatherby but why NOT !

fuonlynu

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/30-Cal-185-Grain-Match-Grade-VLD-Hunting_p_89.html
I was looking at something like these above as they have some good reviews and are listed as a hunting bullet not a target bullet! I guess that Berger employee did not know they made hunting bullets or he just did not know ? Did he specify why he would not use Berger Hunting bullets ? Construction ? Lost animal ? Poor performance ?
I can understand why he might like Noslers as they are fine rounds as ii like them as well but Berger makes Hunting rounds as well and it seems a few people are using them with success ?

He most certainly knows they make Hunting bullets I think it came down to was He didn't want to sell me what I didn't need.