Spike Camp

Nosler Partion 120gr vs Swift A-Frame 120gr

OldFashionedDad

Nosler Partion 120gr vs Swift A-Frame 120gr
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »
I am going on a hunt next fall for Deer and Elk in the mountains of Colorado.  I am using a 257. Weatherby Mag and wanted opinions on hand loads.  I am an experienced loader and will ladder load with H4381 or IMR4381 to find my most accurate.  I know that the 257 isn't optimal for Elk but it is what I have and I am extremely accurate and confident with it.  I also will most likely be taking clean shots under 300 yards.  the question is the bullet.  I know Nosler Partition well and they are manufactured where I live in Central Oregon.  But I am looking for the best possible load for a clean kill on the Elk.  Shot placement aside I am leaning toward Partion in 120gr or Swift A-Frame in 120gr.  I am also open to other suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

badsection

Re: Nosler Partion 120gr vs Swift A-Frame 120gr
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Since shot placement and angle of that shot come into it, I`d take whichever is most accurate. Both are good bullets.  If I had only my 257 WBY for elk, I`d stick with the 100gr. TSX in mine as it`s the most accurate by far. Welcome to the nation   :)

OldFashionedDad

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
I have never used the  Barnes TSX but have heard great things. Sierra Reloading guide shows 100gr at  2720 ft. Lbs. and 3500 Velocity, right on par with the 120gr.  Thank you for the advice.

OldFashionedDad

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
badsection, what do you think about the TSX vs the TTSX and would it be beneficial to go to 115gr?

curthopson

• Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Both bullets are favorites of mine. I have recovered both partitions and a-frames from animals, and the weight-retention on the partitions is routinely in the 70s and on the Swift a-frame it is mid 90s. I lean toward the Swift product if accuracy is equal. Both will work great for you. Have fun. Curt.
Life is tough.  It's tougher if you're stupid.

badsection

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
Haven`t had great luck with the heavier Barnes bullets in my 257. I did take a 200lb. hog with the 100gr. TSX and it performed as advertised. The only TTSX I`ve tried is the 80gr. version.  :)

OldFashionedDad

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »
Let me hear all the opinions, luckily I have plenty of brass and powder.  Looks like I will have to load up a bunch of different types and spend some quality time on the bench.  Damn I hate shooting, it's so stressful :)

ccc23454

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
I have shot a bunch of deer with the 120 partitions and took rifle as a back up on a elk hunt with complete confidence.  I believe either bullet will do what your looking for I just always used the partitions because of price. buy the "blems" for under $20 and practice with same bullets I am going to hunt with and builds confidence. both bullets are among toughest and best lead bullets ever made so don't matter what you choose as they will work!

c

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
When I was at the NRA convention in Indianapolis the owner of swift said he uses the 100 grain a-frame. He said the elk don't know you are using 20 grains less. Never hunted elk before I though so my comments shouldn't be taken as the gospel.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

zonie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
  Curt is correct i'll add think of Swift bullets as heavier constructed Noslers,  similar  in design with some differences.    A-Frames have a bonded nose section and uses pure lead and copper.  These can be  advantages in some scenario.    Anytime you harden things like lead and copper it can fracture and lose weight given extreme impacts.   Softer pure lead and copper has a tendency of flowing or mushing back for lack of a better term before fracturing.  A-frame front sections are bonded Noslers are not.  I've had partitions grenade and completely  come apart, and more than a few times lose the nose section finding only the rear section inside the elk in different places.  The Scirocco's on the other hand are basically a variation of Accubonds and IMO slightly better construction due to the pure copper jacket.   The downside with 25 caliber Sciroccos is they are only 100 grain whereas 25 cal accubonds are 110 grain.   I wasn't all that impressed with 110 grain accubonds on elk this year 3 to 4 inch entry hold,  thru a rib,  bullet came apart and no exit although the cow elk dropped right there.  Too bad Speer dropped TBBC bullets plus I'm not sure if  they made a 25 cal anyway.  Federal has a slight incarnation of the TBBC called Trophy bonded  tip,  which is loaded ammo and not in calibers less than 270.  TBBC were really good bullets  (trophy bonded bear claw ).   If I were going to use the 257 again on any elk it would either be Swift A-frames 120 or Barnes Tsx 115's .   Deer lighter bullets  are  not as important, but elk think driving bullets as deep as possible and breaking everything in the bullets path,  forget these bullets that fragment and come apart you need the best possible controlled expansion bullets that shoot well in your rifle. 

OldFashionedDad

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
Thank you everyone for your opinion's I was already leaning towards the 120gr A-Frame but I will now compare it with the 115gr TSX.  Accuracy at 300 yds will decide because of the the perceived limitations of the 257 with game the size of elk.  I am hoping I have the accuracy I need with the A-Frame because I appreciate the weight retention that Curt was referring to.  I am really dialed in with the 115gr Nosler Balistic tip that I have harvested several deer with I am just looking for the best for a clean kill on an Elk.  Eventually I will invest in a larger caliber but for now I am extremely comfortable with my 257 Weatherby, what a beautiful flat shooting rifle. 

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
I would second the A-frames over the the partitions.

I used to use partitions on Moose and found many "missing tips" (totally separated) with recovered bullets.

Switched to the A-frames 20'ish years ago - all recovered bullets show no sign of separation.

While both did the job I trust the Swifts just a touch more in the event of a less than perfect shot - so they get my vote if you can get them to fly right.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
i have loaded for 5-6 different 257s and all have shoot 1/2' or less @100.00 yards. it is a load i found on the side of a bottle rl22  and i have done this load with with most of the major 100gr bullets. here is my all time favorite load for the 257wby.

federal 215
100gr barns tsx or ttsx
 74gr alliant rl22
wby brass,
I know this is over most books but this load is way more accurate than any other other load i have shoot in my 257s
i have done this with both mark vs and vanguards.
case life was around 6-7 loads. I had so much fun shooting this combo. Off hand at the city range thy have a ram at 210 yrds that i could hit all day long. My very first 257wby a mark v sporter all i had to do is point the barrel in the general direction and squeez the trigger and score a hit. In the short time i had this rifle i must of shot 600-800 rounds out of it and it was still driving tacks. Like a fool i traded it off for a 378wby. That is another story.
Good luck and welcome to the nation.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
Not sure I would use any .25 caliber rifle as an elk rifle.  Plenty of nimrods will disagree, but elk rifles start at .277 bore by most informed and experienced opinions.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »
I don't think anyone on here would consider a 257 an optimal elk rifle, but if it's all you got I wouldn't hesitate with good bullet selection and of course the always most important, shot placement! Let's not forget that Roy has taken down a Rhino with a 257! I would also go with the Swift or the 115 TSX in 257, not saying the partition isn't great, but being the small caliber I would, like others have already mentioned, want the absolute best weight retention.