Spike Camp

Season redemption

dubyam

• View Profile
Season redemption
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »
It's been a tough season for me this year.  The landowner came through and bush hogged all the fields about two weeks before the season, cutting what had been waist to chest high grass down to ankle height.  Of course, this totally wrecked the deer patterns and pushed them off the mountain top and down into the draws and hollers off the bluffs.  I've managed to see a couple of deer, and even one quality buck, but never was able to get a shot.  In years prior, I've bagged a couple of deer by this point in the season and I'm hunting a mature buck to finish things out.  Well, this year, I'm skunked.  I even spent a whole day in the field with fog coming and going, and twice when I was fogged in to 10yds visibility, I could hear does bleating within 25-30yds of me, but not see them.  My hunting time has been strained with a new job and my wife overbooking my free time despite my clear instruction not to do so.  I've put a stop to that, but it cost me several quality days afield.  Very frustrating, indeed.

Well, I got back from a crazy busy trip to my corporate office very late Friday night, and decided to sleep in Saturday, rather than try to hunt on just three or four hours sleep.  I headed out around lunchtime, and was surprised to find my lease empty of any other hunters.  I stalked around a bit, and decided as the wind shifted to hike down into a creekbed and settle into a position in the rocks which gave me view of a multi-intersection of six game trails coming down this draw and crossing the creek, back and forth.  About 330p, I'm sitting against a rock and I hear the unmistakable sound of a deer walking through the dry leaves behind me.  Then I hear a grunt, and it's close.  Every hair on my body was standing up, and it must have taken 15-20sec to turn my head enough to see a buck at about 15yds, coming down a steep incline from my right to left, behind me, picking his way through the rocks.  I watched him and tried to figure out how I'd get my gun around, and noticed he was following a doe, about 15' ahead of him going down the side of the ridge.  She got to a point where she turned directly away from me, and I could see the backs of both her ears.  He was still trailing her, still grunting literally with every step he took, and he went behind a pair of trees, giving me the opportunity to get my gun around in his direction.  (Unfortunately, not a Weatherby on this hunt.)  From my position, I watched him step out and turn, hard quartering away, and I held on his last rib, on his right side.  A breath in and about half out, and I squeezed a round off.  He buckled, and bounded down the steep incline.  I lost sight of him behind a rock ledge, and saw the doe out of the corner of my eye bound down and stop on a small flat below the incline.  I never took my eyes off where I thought the buck had gone, however, and the doe eventually turned and trotted off.  I waited a few minutes just in case, and then eased myself down the slope amongst the rocks to try to find him.  He was piled up about 20yds from where I shot him.  He's the biggest buck I've ever taken, and even these pics don't do him justice.  He has four points on the right, and five on the left, but also has four 2" or longer brow tines on the left side, and a half-inch sticker on the right brow tine.  His G4 on the left is broken off, but I don't care.  The processor said he was about 155lbs dressed, and he was confident the buck went 200-210lbs live weight, if not a little more.  That's a big deer for northern Alabama.  I'm guessing right now he's 5.5yrs old, but my taxidermist will save the jawbones for me so we can age them and know for sure.  Can't wait to find out.

I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Re: Season redemption
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
Great buck and story.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:57:34 AM »
Outstanding buck & story !!!  Thanks for sharing!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

badsection

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
Very Nice!   :)

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:21:23 AM »
Great buck, great story and a fine memory. This is the kind of hunting that makes us think "I can do this again."
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
Thats a good buck anywhere Dub, Congratulations! Sometimes the impromptu hunts are the most rewarding.
DosEquisShooter

O C hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
dubyam, nice looking buck, good shooting and story congrat's.

griz247

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:14:22 AM »
That's a good looking buck. I bet you heart skipped a few beats when you first saw that rack!

mcb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »
That is awesome !!!
Best Regards, Mike

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
Great buck Duby, what rifle and caliber did you shoot him with?
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »
A very nice buck and a great job on the story and pictures!!! Congratulations!!!
Doug

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »
That is a dandy Dubyam, Congrats.
TD

zonie

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
Pretty cool , persistence sure pays off.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:26 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I pulled my Rem700 Classic into the rotation this year, having not killed a deer with it (or even carried it afield) for a few seasons.  My preferred load is a 180gr Nosler BT over IMR4895 with a MV of ~2700fps.  That load is MOA or just over it, out to at least 200yds, but I haven't really tweaked it much.  I may try reworking it this spring, as I've gotten the bug to pillar/glass bed and free-float this rifle and one other wood stocked bolt gun of mine.  That may require a new load, but we'll see.  After this, I'm thinking either my Dad's old Browning BAR in 243Win, or my old 30-30 Win94 (Dr. Jekyll) may get the next at-bat.  Plenty of good options in the safe, so it's a tough call.  Still having scope issues with the 270Wby (Mr. Hyde) so until I get those ironed out, I can't take Hyde out.  That's high on the to-do list as soon as the season is over.  Once I get the scope issues worked out, Hyde is first in the rotation for next deer season, or maybe for some hog hunting in Feb/Mar/April.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Bama Rick

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »
Great buck Dubyam!  Saturday was the day for us too.  We had 5 guys hunt and everyone saw bucks.  We killed two 8 pointers.  One was average and the other was sure enough full grown.  I let two six pointers walk, one of which was the largest I have ever seen.  Rules are rules, but that one hurt!  Hopefully he makes it another year.  My season has been limited as well due to a back injury.  I can't hunt solo, so I'm relegated to only going when another member can go.  The rest of the season looks promising though!