Spike Camp

Glass for a 243 Mountain Rifle Setup

Eagle Rider

Glass for a 243 Mountain Rifle Setup
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
Hey there fellas- been and on and off for a while, I hope everyone is doing well?  I'm setting up a 243 20" rifle (bolt action) as a handy mountain deer and 'yote rifle.  I'm seriously thinking about a 2-7 x 32 MM Nikon Prostaff on it.  I really don't anticipate shooting past 100 yds with it in the field.  My other choice is a 2-7x 32 Leopold VX II (already own that one but it's being repaired by Leopold at the moment because I wasn't focusing).  Anyway, what do you think about the idea? 

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Glass for a 243 Mountain Rifle Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
If you can wait, the Leupold won't cost anything but time. I'm not a Leupold fan, but some folks like them.

Were I buying a 2-7 class of scope (which incidentally is what class of scope I have on the 243Win my dad left me - because that's what he put on it back in about 1982) I'd strongly consider the Zeiss Terra version. It's good Japanese glass, and not too expensive at roughly $350 if you shop around. I've seen it on sale once for $299, even, but did not have the cash on hand to pick one up right then.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:42:26 PM by dubyam »
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »
I have a prostaff 3x9 on a 243 vanguard and in my opinion it fits it perfectly,its short, light,and it will let you see farther then you will shoot with a 243,i have zero complaints about its performance.

stanleygks

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:23:02 AM »
I have a higher magnification ProStaff on my 243 and it's a fine glass.  My absolute favorite is the Zeiss Terra.  It's brighter than some scopes costing double the $.  The reticle is a little thicker than that found on the Leupolds and my aging eyes appreciate that.  It's available in 2-7x 33, 3-9x42, and 4-12.

badsection

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:45:15 AM »
I just ordered a 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff for a 7mm-08 BLR I have on the way. I recently got Savage "package" rifles with the 3-9X40 prostaff and like the glass for the price point. ;D

Eagle Rider

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:15 AM »
Thanks fellas. I have two others into the mix. I have both of these brands and like them a lot too what are your thoughts?
Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32

The Burris has the heavier plex than all of the other but the occular is the zoom. Hence I can only use bikini covers on them which isn't the end of the world. Vortex has huge eye boxes which let a lot of light through. Again 100 yds or less.

The VX2 when it comes back can go on my 444 Marlin donuts getting a home anyway.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
+1 to the Zeiss Terra.I have looked through one my friend has and it is super.We boxed it at the range and it tracked great also.He has been very happy with it in the field.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

lamric

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Most of my rifles wear really good glass with the Zeiss Conquest being my basic "Go to" scope.  I do have a Vortex Crossfire II on a Browning T-Bolt in 17HMR and it's average at best.  The scope has performed flawlessly and held zero through all the abuse I've thrown at it, it's only shortcoming is optical clarity.  Going from a Tasco or Simmons to a Crossfire II would be an improvement, go from a Zeiss to a Crossfire and you'll really notice the lack of fine image detail.

Zeiss Terra is a good option, you'll forget about price before you forget about quality.

badsection

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
I chose the 2-7X32 Nikon in an attempt to keep the scope as low as I could. I plan on using QD rings so the open sights are a viable option. If I was setting up a "mountain" rifle for 100yds. and under, I would consider weight as well as magnification and clarity. Being naturally cheap, cost comes into it!   ;D

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Another option might be a new Redfield I have a 2x7 and I like it.  The best 2x7 I have is an older Nikon Monarch.  I have had a few of those over the years and really like them.
Can't go wrong with Leupold 

Eagle Rider

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Looks like the Leupold or the Zeiss is the winner on this one.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »
I too like the Zeiss Conquest. I have two of them on hunting rifles and they are hard to beat. You may also want to look at a Steiner Predator Xtreme. I have one on my Euromark 7mm Wby. mag and it's close to becoming my favorite scope. Both of these scopes are top quality.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:47:25 PM by godscountry »
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
I've become a serious fan of the Zeiss Terra 3, they are fantastic scopes and you can't beat their prices.  I was a Leupold fan, until I bought my first Zeiss, and I haven't look back.  Check with Camera Land NY, they usually have them either on sale or open box items.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".