Spike Camp

Got It Done

DW5

• View Profile
Got It Done
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
A long time back, at least 10 years or so, I got it in my head that I wanted to take a large white pig with spots, preferably with good cutters. For some reason I became really enamored with that particular animal. I thought it would make a really cool mount. When I first got the idea in my head, I really did not care where I took the animal and figured with the abundance of pigs in TX, it really should not be that hard to accomplish. At the time, I had just started hunting the lease I have currently. As time went by, and without realizing it too much, my goal shifted to wanting to get that particular pig on my particular place. Between now and then I have killed several solid black pigs that would otherwise fit the bill and just a few small, cutter lacking spotted white pigs on the lease. For whatever reason, 95% of all the pigs we had were solid black, it seemed they also knew of my plans and selectively bred in my area accordingly.

Fast forward to 2 weekends ago. I was down at my place doing a little off season work and decided to sit in a stand that evening with a spotlight. I had seen a pig that seemed to possibly meet my criteria on camera in one area, but always so far away that even zooming in on the picture I really could not make much out. I climbed up in the stand with still about 2 hours of daylight left figuring, why not? about an hour later this guy stepped out in a tree line about 90 yards in front of me and stood broadside. One decent shot from the Vanguard .270WSM and he was dead in his tracks. I drug him to a place where I take care of animals with a chain behind my truck. I don't know how much he weighed but it was way more than I was getting into the bed of my truck by myself. After gutting him, I still could not lift it in there and thought I could hoist him up in a tree and back under him. Just my luck, the ratchet strap I had down there for that reason broke. Knowing that the only stores to carry such things within a 40 mile drive was closed, I broke out the small saw a carry in my kit and cut him in half. Below it a picture of the front half of the pig.

While he definitely does not have the biggest cutters in the world I was still really excited to take him. Filling such a particular goal I had set and been after for so long was satisfying. Dropped him off at the local taxidermist the next morning.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:30:03 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

Re: Got It Done
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Cool!   ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Always good to accomplish a mission. ;D Nice hog!
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
Well done!  Nice hog!!!  Congrats!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.  BTW, that is some of the craziest cutters I have ever seen on that pig you posted a few days ago Terminator. Wow!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Nice pig
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Awesome! Nice Hog !

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
Nice work on ticking a critter off your bucket list. He will make for a nice mount.
Aussie gun nut.