Spike Camp

looking for a 3300 fps 150 grain 270 weatherby accurate handload

Re: looking for a 3300 fps 150 grain 270 weatherby accurate handload
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »
I also have a 24" barreled 270 Wea mag and I tried H 1000 with the 150gr Hornady spt. I was able to work up to 78 grs of H 1000, one grain less than Hodgdon's  max before pressure reared it's ugly head but my vel was way below yours at an average of 3125 ft/sec. I just don't feel that the velocity you obtained is right. I've researched this round many times and I've never seen where anyone could get 3300+ ft/sec even with a 26" barrel let alone a 24" tube. Mabey check your chrono with a known load or on someone else chrono. I've tried many powders with the 150 gr bullet and 3215 ft/sec with the old H 450 is about the best I could do with good accuracy.
 What Dubyam posted are wise words and friendly advice.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
Thanks for the input Canadian.

While I have checked other rifles on the same chrono I have not been able to run my rifle through another set of screens.
Regardless, I feel I have found the upper end of my window based on velocity data and slight pressure indications.

I am now curious how the difference in bullet geometries between the Hornady and Nosler ABLR bullets affects velocity and pressure signs. I guess the best way to find out is try some Hornady 150s in my rifle. Were you using the SST or is spt the Spitzer? It is hard to keep track of when the auto-spelling correction kicks in....

Have you tried any other 150 gr bullets? What was the best accuracy you achieved?

Thanks again,
james

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 04:10:24 PM »
The Hornady bullet I used was the 150 gr Interlock. I also tried the 150 Sierra gameking and the 150 Speer spt. One thing I noticed right off was that my rifle likes flat base bullets and not so much the boat tail ones. This is the reason I have not yet tried some of the newer long range VLD's or LR accubonds. Accuracy with the Hornady ran slightly under moa, the Speer about 1.1moa and the BT's 1.6moa. Same with the 130 gr bullets with the 130 gr Hornady interlock being the best. I had no luck what so ever with the 140 gr bullets, being all BT's. My max vel with the 130 gr bullets was 3345 ft/sec. Again with the old H 450, same as with  the 150's. I'm now , or soon will be trying the 140gr Berger hunting VLD. See how this works. I'll be using the old H 450 again.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:31 PM »
While you might not sue over Internet data, there are plenty of folks who will. Heck, I got sued years ago by a woman who t-bone me while doing better than twice the legal speed limit (nearly 3x, in fact) and even though I won, it still cost me several days of work and travel costs to go defend myself. I now have more income, a house, and various other things which make me a target, and three kids who I care enough about not to post data. I've shared it with folks over private message, and in person, with strong admonishments to be careful, and yet knowing I put myself at risk - albeit a carefully calculated risk - every time. With regard to the "start low and work up" defense, I suspect a jury wouldn't pay that any heed, as most wouldn't understand why it mattered. Liability is an ugly thing in the hands of the wrong lawyer. Good lawyers are worth their weight in gold. Bad lawyers are that much trouble.

Ultimately, you have to remember if you see something which is out of place, it's important to find out why. I had this experience with a 7mmRemMag which produced dismally low velocities with every load tried. And I mean several hundred fps below expectation with handloads and factory ammo. Turns out the shoulder in that chamber was reamed far too long, and the unfortunate result was an overcut chamber which caused low velocities (no danger) but also caused severe case stretch (big danger). If I'd just loaded on up with that rifle to find my velocity, I'd have been fine right up until the first casehead separation occurred due to the initial stretch and any subsequent stretch after resizing. And this, even though the round heads paces on the belt, not the shoulder. We're talking a ridiculously elongated shoulder in this chamber.

I sold that rifle to a friend who was looking to build a custom rifle and needed a cheap donor with a belted mag bolt face, with the explicit instruction to remove and destroy the original barrel. He did so with haste.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Fotis

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com