Spike Camp

Problems with new 6.5-300

zonie

Re: Problems with new 6.5-300
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2018, 08:52:28 PM »
And this is why we have bolt shrouds on some rifles and other safety measures built into rifles to vent explosive discharges.   It could see it destroying the rifle  for instance a 30-06 and 300 win mag are different case diameters, I could totally see the chamber not sealing and gases going all over the place doing damage.  The firing pin could definitely strike a primer if the extractor held the  cartridge case from foreward movement,  not to say that it could in all circumstances, but the speed of a firing pin drop and the and the strength of either the hammer or firing pin hitting the primer hard enough to go off.  I over heard guy  trying to tell a customer at a local gunshop,  he was a well known to the gunshop,   it was ok to fire 40 cal smith & Wesson  auto pistol ammo in a 10mm auto.  I couldn't help myself overhearing that conversation,  I stuck my nose in it and  told the customer this guy was full of himself and under no certain terms should he or anyone else try shooting 40 cal ammo in a 10mm auto and here's why ,  the pistol extractor is going to hold the case from going foreward and it's going to go bang, but you are probably going to break your pistol extractor or other things.  Now if it were a Smith 610 revolver using moon clips that's a different story.   That really ticked me off when I heard that if it had not  been a safety issue I probably wouldn't have made a scene and pulled the customer to the side and tell him don't listen to this moron.  The know it all got pissy with me and he told me he was a master re-loader,  you don't want to know what I told him  he was a master of something else and he better go back to re-loading 101 before he get's someone in trouble.   My point is take things with a grain of salt until you know for sure,  ask questions,  then ask more questions.  I learn something new every day in fact  this old dog  just learned how to put Strelok ballistic app on my smart phone  and I just about impressed the crap out of myself with this new toy,  I  think I'm going to really like it,  but I still will use range cards.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:10:41 PM by zonie »

« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
I have personally seen someone fire a .257WBY cartridge out of a .300win mag at the range before. All it did was fire form the case. I asked him if I could keep it. I might still have it around somewhere

Similarly, I have personally witnessed a 7mm Rem Mag fired from a 300 Win Mag rifle. And also similarly, it fire-formed the case in a very crude and ugly manner and the projectile kicked-up a bunch of dirt about 20 yards in front of the muzzle. No damage was done to the rifle and the shooter was not injured. It's a lesson though to be cognoscente of your ammo when shooting multiple rifles in one sitting from the same bench.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
The guy I saw do it did no damage to himself or the rifle and he actually hit paper 100 yards away with the 257 bullet, just about 2 feet off the mark(high left if I remember correctly🤔)
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »
This is pathetically stupid already, John's do you think for one second the members here are believing your friend told you something along the lines of oh I shot my rifle and the bolt was seized so I sent it to Weatherby to get fixed and they say it's junk and we'll destroy it or send it back if you sign off on the liability.  Really, do you really think the members here are that brain dead stupid?  Anyone would ask what happened that the bolt seized rather than saying oh ok and leaving it at that.  Do you read what you type?  My God do you understand why the members here are saying there has to be more info and either your friend is refusing to tell the entire story or you're trying to let this blow over and save your friend from being labeled and idiot who shouldn't own a cap gun let alone any gun that will shoot a real bullet.  When he called Weatherby for a RA Number he had to give them some details as to what happened and if he said something like oh I shot my rifle now the bolt won't open the customer service rep would've certainly asked for more information and some of the same questions members here have been asking repeatedly.  I whole heartedly believe you know a lot more than what you've posted along with having some other suspicions and am sure other members here are on the same page as I am.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
The longer this thread winds, the more I come to know the only for-sure facts provided here so far are from Teresa at Weatherby. There may be some other facts, but nothing remotely verifiable or believable.

And not to pick on the OP, but the story about the Ruger 7Mag blown up by the 270Win round is completely, utterly, literally un-believable. As in, the laws of physics fail to even support this outcome as a remote, uncanny possibility.

This is more and more bizarre and twisted and less true by the minute.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
I completely agree with you about someone blowing up a Ruger by shooting a .270 Winchester round in a 7mm Magnum.  The thing about Ruger is they overbuild stuff, the figure out the point where it'll break and then they beef it up ten fold.  For an example just look at the top strap on a Blackhawk, there's no need for it to be that thick but they made it that way.  If you mess up a Ruger gun you really set out on a mission to do it and there's no accidents about it.

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
I guess l am not sure why a 270 would blow up a 7 mag? It sure wouldn't be a tight fit for the bullet to go down the barrel along with most of the pressure. Seems the case would fire form to the chamber
Maybe someone in the know can explain it to me
I accidentally fired a 270 out of my TC  Encore 7mm rem mag  years ago. Case was stuck and ruptured around where the belt would be but sealed off and no harm to the gun. CRAZY THING IS... I hit the rock I was aiming at about 50 yds away.

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
I guess l am not sure why a 270 would blow up a 7 mag? It sure wouldn't be a tight fit for the bullet to go down the barrel along with most of the pressure. Seems the case would fire form to the chamber
Maybe someone in the know can explain it to me
I accidentally fired a 270 out of my TC  Encore 7mm rem mag  years ago. Case was stuck and ruptured around where the belt would be but sealed off and no harm to the gun. CRAZY THING IS... I hit the rock I was aiming at about 50 yds away.

Well the difference between 27&28 caliber isn't much. But it is enough to keep the pressure down in the chamber.
I find it hard to believe this would damage a gun. Not  recommended but.
By reading the posts l am not the only one questioning this

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
So johnp034 are you going to let us know what Weatherby found wrong with your rifle oops i mean your friends rifle? ;) >:( ;) >:( ;) >:( ;) >:( ;) >:( >:( ;) >:( ;) >:(
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
Sorry to bring this back up but wish we could have the details on this rifle. We gave the original poster plenty of time.

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
Sorry to bring this back up but wish we could have the details on this rifle. We gave the original poster plenty of time.

And flack :-\
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
I just finished reading the article on Weatherbys posted by Tex.

"With normal pressures generated by off-the-shelf cartridges at around 70,000, his testing demonstrated that the Weatherby Mark V could sustain pressure readings on the high side of 100,000 psi.

To prove the point, Roy loaded his rifle 15 times with a 220-grain bullet pushed into the bore while firing the gun with a cartridge case topped off with a 180-grain bullet. The result was the headspace of the rifle set back only .001 of an inch."

If the Weatherby action is capable of withstanding 100,000 psi, based on the above excerpt from the article.  What kind of pressure ruined this 6.5-300? 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »
This is why I called BS several pages ago. There is a lot not known about this rifle situation. My guess is, somebody really jacked it up with either the wrong ammo or very stupid handloads, and wants to blame Weatherby for some issue with alerting folks to what they already know happened to the rifle. Sucks to be the owner, but life is full of hard (expensive) lessons.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:54 PM »
Stupidity has it's rewards, it can land you in jail, get you hurt, or cost you money.  I agree with you Dubyah, this stinks to high heaven of a MAJOR case of stupidity.  I completely believe the original poster knows EXACTLY what was done to this rifle that caused it to be unusable and isn't telling.  I also suspect that the rifle belongs to the original poster and he's trying to cover his tracks for ruining his rifle. 

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
One last thing I would like to say and that is if like some are saying that the rifle belongs to the original poster and he did something to cause the problem and destroy the rifle I sure wouldn't have brought it before this group of people  for sympathy.
TD