Spike Camp

257wb - 110 eldx

257wb - 110 eldx
« on: January 20, 2020, 09:35:17 AM »
Does anybody have a recommended coal for this?

Re: 257wb - 110 eldx
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
I recently purchased a .257 Weatherby Mark V KCM rifle. I plan to try the Hornady 110 Gr EL-X in it as well. Is your rifle custom or factory? If it’s a factory Weatherby rifle, I recommend the COAL listed in the Hornady 10th Edition of 3.190.”(I haven’t found in any data source that gives a COAL specifically for the 110 Gr ELD-X yet). The reason for this is that Weatherby throats are long anyway. It is highly likely that if you try to seat your bullets close to the lands, your COAL will be too long to fit your magazine. If it is a custom rifle with a shorter throat, I would suggest seating your bullets .005”-.010” off the lands to start with. You might have to play with the seating depth to wring out maximum accuracy from your rifle. Obviously, you’ll want to make sure they fit your magazine as well. I hope this suggestion helps.
Shooter, handloader, and Weatherby enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »
Well, I have some factory 110 noslers that shoot really good so if I can’t find any info on the eld-x’s I’ll just copy the distance to the ogive hoping they’ll be close to the same. Just getting it ready for some fun target shooting and the eldx’s are always on the shelf and shoot good in my other calibers. They might let me peek in the book at the store but it’s about an hour drive. Doing a ladder test, wanted to start with the recommended

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:22:40 PM »
Best wishes on your loads. Let me know how they shoot. I’ll let you know how mine shoot as well. I think I’ll start with RL-22 and RL-25 powders. I might try H1000 as well. I’ve had good success with it in the past. I think the 110 Gr ELD-X is a perfect happy medium bullet for 25 Cal. It’s definitely one of the higher B.C. bullets available in 25 Cal.
Shooter, handloader, and Weatherby enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Will do, might be a while unless this weather changes. Went shooting today and it wasn’t great. I was keeping a round in my hand for a few minutes trying to warm it up. The wind and rain wasn’t helping much either.Pretty much had the range to myself though lol!