Spike Camp

buying a used 340 Wby - what to look/look out for

Re: buying a used 340 Wby - what to look/look out for
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:59 AM »
I picked up a Mark V Synthetic SS in .340 WBY in December.  I believe it to have been shot very little as it was in excellent condition,  I think I stole it!  I have about 50 rds. through it so far.  I've had sub MOA (.8") performance at 100 yards with Norma Oryx 230 gr. factory loads.  I've also had luck with a Sierra 250 gr. GK, 86 gr. of Norma MRP, Fed 215M and Weatherby brass.  This load shot sub MOA (0.746") at 100 yds.  This rifle has confirmed all that I've read about Weatherby quality and accuracy!  It has become my favorite bolt rifle.  I live just down the road from Sheridan in Wyoming.  I am looking forward to visiting their show room this spring!
Mark V Synthetic SS, .340 Weatherby Magnum
Shiloh Sharps .44 - 2 5/8"
Shiloh Sharps .50 - 2 1/2"

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 02:41:27 PM »
if i recall my last look at the regulations, 35 caliber or smaller for F-class.  some guys shoot the 338 Lapua in the matches.  so 338 bore is legal.  of course weight limit on F class is 10kg so that helps moderate recoil a bunch.  i agree on the good glass.  i will give this one a whirl for hunting.  looking forward to it actually.  but usually for me hunting is hunting and not shooting.  i get no time from my job to get out scouting etc. so when i can go hunting it's hunting and not shooting.

looking forward to checking out the rifle tomorrow and hopefully picking it up. 

thanks all for the helpful tips on what to look for.  unless it's been poorly taken care of i intend to pick it up.

re: bases and recoil.  do you all find that the 6-48s are enough to keep bases tight with a 340 Wby or have you all had them opened up to 8-40s ?

thanks,
tdbru

I have the 6-48's on my rifle and they have never given any trouble. I don't consider the .340 to have enough recoil to warrant going up to the 8-40's. I did that on my .460 though.
My rifle gets used pretty hard. It sits on a custom made rack on my ATV and bounced all over the place. Not one screw has come loose. But I do lock tight them down. 
Aussie gun nut.

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks!  good to know the 6-48s are adequate.  i assume you use loctite 242?  (blue, non permanent).

i am encouraged by all the reports of very good accuracy.   perhaps finally a rifle one doesn't have to gunsmith for a while to get it to group well :-)

very excited for tomorrow.  hoping the rifle's condition is good.

BB340, have you ever had a part fail?  extractor?  small springs?  trigger internals?  granted on a bolt rifle there is not a lot to go wrong.

thanks all,
tdbru

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
Thanks!  good to know the 6-48s are adequate.  i assume you use loctite 242?  (blue, non permanent).

i am encouraged by all the reports of very good accuracy.   perhaps finally a rifle one doesn't have to gunsmith for a while to get it to group well :-)

very excited for tomorrow.  hoping the rifle's condition is good.

BB340, have you ever had a part fail?  extractor?  small springs?  trigger internals?  granted on a bolt rifle there is not a lot to go wrong.

thanks all,
tdbru

Yep use the 242 blue lock tight. I have never had anything fail on any of my Weatherbys. You will absolutely love the .340! It is a hard hitting, mild kicking, critter killing machine! I think you will find it useful for long range work as well. It's ballistics are the same as the .338 Lapua so anything that thing can do the .340 will do better.. Only because it's a Weatherby haha
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 01:30:55 AM »
if i recall my last look at the regulations, 35 caliber or smaller for F-class.  some guys shoot the 338 Lapua in the matches.  so 338 bore is legal.  of course weight limit on F class is 10kg so that helps moderate recoil a bunch.  i agree on the good glass.  i will give this one a whirl for hunting.  looking forward to it actually.  but usually for me hunting is hunting and not shooting.  i get no time from my job to get out scouting etc. so when i can go hunting it's hunting and not shooting.

looking forward to checking out the rifle tomorrow and hopefully picking it up. 

thanks all for the helpful tips on what to look for.  unless it's been poorly taken care of i intend to pick it up.

re: bases and recoil.  do you all find that the 6-48s are enough to keep bases tight with a 340 Wby or have you all had them opened up to 8-40s ?

thanks,
tdbru

So you had me thinking I must be losing my mind...

I had a look and it is quite interesting - the NRA rules permit up to .35

On www.USFClass.com the homepage refers to calibres up to .338.... so go figure  :o

This page has links to both sets of rules although only the one works, but the 2018 ICFRA rules state 8mm maximum. As I understand it this is the governing body for F-Class.

Sorry to have confused things. It seems there are two different sets of rules running side by side.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
Yeah, i when i did a search on the rules when i was getting started on F class (still in the start mode as i don't get out a lot due to work, hard to get better when you only can make it to 3 to 4 matches a year, but hey, way better than nothing)  i found the NRA rules for Fclass.  not sure why there'd be 3 sets of rules.  kind of defeats the purpose of rules. 

oh well.  anyway for NRA Fclass there were a few guys shooting the 338 Lapua cartridge.  and ballistically the 338 Lapua and the 340 Wby are not too far apart. 

tdbru

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »
well, very exciting.  MkV of course.  wood has a few dings.  muzzle has most of the bluing worn off but the crown looks very good under low power magnification, so it's ok.  no rust.  definitely the deluxe type i think.  floorplate is engraved and says Weatherby Custom.  follower is jewelled.  bolt body is jewelled and knob is checkered.  bolt face appears to have very little bluing loss, ejector is missing a tiny spot of bluing right at the center, but it is crowned so that may be the only place it would lose bluing.   has what appears to me to be a factory canjar set trigger.  ~ 3lbs 6 oz unset.  my lyman electronic trigger pull gauge doesn't even record a value for the trigger blade trip weight when set.  i dunno, less than an ounce?  why would you order a pretty serious big game rifle with a set trigger?  no bother at all if you just ignore it.  but i can't figure the use of it set either.  wood is pretty, but i don't know american black walnut from Claro or french or turkish either so have no idea, but nicely figured in the butt stock area.  of  course the requisite rosewood forend tip and grip cap with the white diamond inlay in the grip cap.  and what appears to my untrained eye to be hand executed skip line checkering.  recoil pad is older brown ventilated with white line spacer.   the back of the lugs all look to have about the same amount of bluing worn off, which is to say not much at all.  i think it was carried a lot and shot not much.  quite exciting.  looking forward to picking out a scope and getting out and shooting it.  maybe by the end of next month?  we'll see.
thanks all for your insights and encouragement!!

by the way, if i can't find brass or ammo locally,  i understand you can just neck up 300 Wby brass, right?  one of the local GS has some once fired 300Wby brass for sale.

tdbru

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 05:56:27 PM »
by the way, it weighs 8 lbs.  6 oz.  of course now scope or mounts yet.  does this sound about normal for weight on a 340 Wby?

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
well, i'm happy to report i have finally had a chance to put a scope on my new/used 340 deluxe.  i picked a 6x42 Leupold.  good low light level scope (exit pupil 7mm),  fixed power is, in my mind, the most rugged and reliable, though variables have gotten very very good as well.  shorter than a variable.  i never have to worry about what power i have it set to.  or have it set to the wrong magnification.   has 4.4" of eye relief, and since this will be primarily a big game hunting rig, 6x is enough.  if i can't see a deer or elk in a 6x scope, it's too far away for me to be shooting at anyway.  wonderful looking, balancing rig.  very happy about it.  Richard Near's alphahunter mount is spectacular, and perfectly sized for the 6x42 Leupold. 

now to pick up a set of reloading dies and get into a load development program.

-tdbru

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Sounds like a great set up. How about some pictures when you have time? Congratulations!
DosEquisShooter

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
i might have to have someone educate me about how to post photos.   
thanks,
-tdbru

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 06:29:05 AM »
That scope should be a good choice
Had that same scope on a Sako rifle in .338 win mag. It is a higher  magnification than other 3-4 power scopes so l would suggest handling your rifle a lot. You don't have to shoot, just shoulder your rifle all the time, with the clothes that you will be wearing. Do it until when you bring it up the scope is clear and the crosshairs are close to being on target. Same as you would with a shotgun, point and shoot

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
Nice. Yep ain't nothing wrong with a fixed 6x scope. I have several 6x and a few 4x on some of my rifles.
Can't wait to hear about your reloading fun when you get to it and make that .340 sing!
Aussie gun nut.

tdbru

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »
thanks guys.  waiting on the reloading dies.  by the way, how do i post photos?  do i use the little "insert image" button?
-tdbru

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »
thanks guys.  waiting on the reloading dies.  by the way, how do i post photos?  do i use the little "insert image" button?
-tdbru

Yep just hit the 'Upload Image and other options' tab. Then another bit will pop open and then click on 'Choose File' and then it should access your photos on your computer and you select the one you want. That is the way I do it anyways.
Aussie gun nut.