Spike Camp

HOLOSUN Red Dot or Green Dot ?

HOLOSUN Red Dot or Green Dot ?
« on: June 06, 2020, 04:42:21 AM »
I'm thinking about purchasing a Holosun 507 C red dot sight for my Ruger Mark 4 pistol.  I will be using it mainly for target shooting at an indoor range and also setting up targets outside.  They make this sight with a red dot and also a green dot for $20.00 more.

What would be the advantages of the green over the red if any?

Thanks
Erik Hemmel

Re: HOLOSUN Red Dot or Green Dot ?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
Welcome!! I have the 507 with the green dot. I went with the green because I was concerned about the red “washing out” in bright sunlight...maybe a non-issue? I’ve been very happy with the green dot at our outdoor range. But I don’t have any experience with the red dot at a indoor range. My guess is either will serve you well. (Some have expressed concern with the green dot for those that are blue/green color blind.?) I would buy the 507 again.
Duane

Re: HOLOSUN Red Dot or Green Dot ?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:56:40 AM »
I have a friend who can see neither green nor red - being "red green colour blind". He uses a Trijicon orange I think.

I have no experience with Holosun, but my (admittedly few) dots and illuminated scopes are red. I've never had a dot wash out in bright light as they are self adjusting (brighter in he day and less intense in the dark), but one does get a bit of "dot flare" at times at the highest settings and that is also a function of the quality of the dot and the light. Most of the action shooters shoot red. I think the risk of green is losing the dot against foliage on a transition between targets with trees or a grassed backstop, so I would prefer red. Indoor ranges probably make it a moot point.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.