Spike Camp

Dilema

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Dilema
« on: October 09, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »
I noticed a failry large amount of unaccounted for money in my account today. I/m not sure what I should do. STFU and hope it stays there but don't spend it is the advive I have gotten so far.  ;D  Ideas?

Re: Dilema
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 03:35:29 PM »
Happened to me once. I also waited. The longer it sat the longer it took to straighten it out. Mine was caused by a mis directed deposit and the other person did not do online banking and by the time they realized it multiple overdraft notices had happened.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 03:57:22 PM »
I feel sorry for whoever lost their deposit. I do remember my bank dropping a decimal point on a check I wrote for $100. Of course, the 10 grand check bounced! the bank wanted to charge me $ 35 for my misatake,except it was theirs! When I pointed out it was theirs, I wanted them to pay me the  $35. Fair is fair except at banks!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 07:22:05 PM »
Yah, happened once here. It took the bank 18 months to find. It come out just as quick as it was deposited.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 05:12:36 AM »
Yeah had the same thing I went to the branch I delt with and talked to the manager about the extra funds. She ran an audit and could not find where the funds came from and said they had not made a deposit that wasn't accounted for. I opened an new account and transferred my correct funds to the new account then I sat on the old account for 90 days to give them every chance to fix the error.
At the end of 90 days I with drew the money and closed the account.
Never heard anything more about it.
A pain in the neck at the time but would have been a nightmare now due to electronic banking.
Just do a close visual of your account to make sure someone hasn't got access that shouldn't but I would still open a new account and transfer my moneys over and sit on the old one.
TD

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 07:28:30 AM »
If you're absolutely sure that money is not legitimately yours, as enticing as it is to keep it, I think I would contact the bank about it. Odds are that they will find the mistake eventually. If you have spent it by that point in time, then you may have to come up with it. I suppose you could wait awhile, but definitely don't spend it. In the meantime, you could research what the laws are regarding this kind of situation.
BTW, I'm assuming the amount is below $10,000, however, if it is $10K or above, the IRS already has gotten notification of the transaction.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 07:38:44 AM by TexWeatherby »
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 07:50:26 AM »
This account is an interest bearing checking account. There is no such thing at this bank anymore. Changing would lose that interest. The money involved is considerably less than 10K. My social security direct deposit should be there tomorrow. How and where the deposit came from is unknown to me. The bank has decided for security reasons to require a one time code to access it online which requires me to call them for the code. I'm not so sure I want them looking at the account at this time.  I will check the balance tomorrow at the ATM.  My monthly statement will explain where the money came from or went.  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 07:59:13 AM by Grouchy »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 06:53:03 AM »
The money has magically disappeared!   :)

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 08:52:15 AM »
Yep, they always get to the bottom of these things sooner or later. Aren't you glad you were wise and didn't spend it?!!!
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »
Yup, it was a bit over $2500. I guess somebody got thier money back where it belonged. The funny part is maybe the bank counted that mistake in my average daily balance that affects my interest amount.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 12:07:49 PM by Grouchy »