Spike Camp

New Mark V Ultralight 7mm-08

doctor2456

New Mark V Ultralight 7mm-08
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:30 AM »
Picking up my first new rifle this week, Mk V 7mm-08 Ultralight with a Nikon Gold 2.5-10x50.  Should I initially shoot a certain type of ammunition in the new rifle?  Any details on proper break in procedure would be appreciated.

Re: New Mark V Ultralight 7mm-08
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »
I just do a simple one shot then clean and repeat about 5 times.  I still don't know if there is anything to the barrel break in myth as my barrels with no break in shoot and clean-up just as good as the ones with break in.  Who knows.

Brett
100% Public Land DIY

zonie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »
There is a very good article on www.6mmbr.com concerning barrel break in. Basically don't, just make sure when you get any new-used rifle a good cleaning, tighten all screws to specs, and look it over carefully for any flaws, lube where necessary and go out and shoot it.  I think sometimes people tend to over clean, don't get me wrong I clean mine as much as the next guy, but I don't get real agressive with it. I,m not sure the last time I cleaned my daughters ruger 10/22 and still shoots pretty good for what it is, but doesn't come close to my springfield 1922
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:35:37 AM by zonie »

mossie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
My local gun dealer told me to clean my 7mm before I shoot it the first time and then to clean it between every round for the first 8-10 rounds. He explained that it will help to get rid of any burrs that might be left behind after machining took place and that it will help to seal the barrel. I did that and my gun shot great sins round one, I look forward to the years to come. I hope you enjoy your 7mm, if you take good care of it, it will take care of you for a long time. ;)