Spike Camp

African Antelope

LUV2AT8

African Antelope
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
It appears the 270 Wby Mag Mark V with 150 gr Nosler Partion bullets are capable of taking Kudu and down with instant kills.  Bullets pass thru, but the animals drop in place.
Why beat yourself up with a large bore that you must calculate drop for when the above sighted zero at 175 m will be close enough for shots out to 300 m without adjustment.

Re: African Antelope
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
Congratulations on some great animals Roy.I agree with you.You just have to have good bullet placement as with anything.I am planning to take the new WNMR in 257 WM to Namibia next year for Wildebeast,Hartebeast,Oryx,and Warthog.I have already gotten the OK from the guide.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

bmw5

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:40:30 AM »
Hi!

Been twice in south africa with my .270 Wby mag.
Very nice caliber,with very good effect,even on large game like Zebra,and oryx.
Last august me and a friend hunted in Limpopo valley. Did shoot a very nice oryx with my .270 WM. Load:150 grs Swift A-frame ahead of 71.0 grs Norma MRP,CCI 250 primers. Shoulder shot.Bullet went straight through,and the oryx went straight down. Shot quite a few moose with it here in Norway,with similar effect.
Perfect gun/caliber. :)

BMW5

GrampaDavie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:34 AM »
I've wondered if this caliber would be good over there.  Thanks for answering my unasked question... ;)

Now to another thread to change my post to amend what I'd like to take & why.... ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:16:27 PM by GrampaDavie »

Gray Ghost Safaris

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
I agree, the 270 caliber is a good choice for African antelope's...within reason. I've shot everything with a .223 (small pygmy antelope to Impala sized game) or a .280 on large antelope and Leopard. That said, I would caution the first time African hunter to make sure they are very good shots off the sticks and using a quality bullet that has controlled expansion. Wounded and lost trophies means paying an empty trophy fee. If in doubt, take something in the .30 caliber range, IF you shoot it well. If you need a lighter caliber for say Duiker/Steenbok, then ask your PH AHEAD of time if they can loan you a light rifle for said species. Don't under estimate those little antelope. They can be quite the challenge to hunt!