Spike Camp

Recoil: interesting article with charts

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Recoil: interesting article with charts
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 11:25:55 PM »
Mike that is the set up I use. Have taken it to Africa too. Worked a treat when sniping baboons with my .257 Wby lol.
Aussie gun nut.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 05:37:53 AM »
I've been on the fence with that one mike, is it pretty easy to maneuver like if your stalking? No doubt the rest would be great once your in, just wonder how easy it is to pickup and move as your target moves?

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 06:14:24 AM »
The extended end always swings down. It’s not as easy as just the V attachment but the rest is far stabler when set up. Once l started using it l don’t go without it now
Mike

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 06:15:18 AM »
Tex - you mentioned Creedmoor on mild recoil as a good caliber. I've always been fond on this round and it certainly has it's hate group.

As far as the caliber i have several with two being model 70 fwt and a mark v 6 lug deluxe. The Weatherby has pretty snappy recoil. I also purchased the vanguard Camilla for one of my daughter in-laws and that stock design you can tell a difference in the recoil even with a Creedmoor. None are uncomfortable, the lighter rifles will let you know it sooner! LOL

I like the little 6 lug models from Sheridan, pretty wood lighter and as all I've shot from Weatherby - accurate!

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 06:18:13 AM »
The extended end always swings down. It’s not as easy as just the V attachment but the rest is far bet when set up. Once l started using it l don’t go without it now

I really think getting one especially for the wife would benefit her this year when we were trying to get her setup on the bogs to shoot that tahr you could tell she wasn't as comfortable as she would have like to have been. Ended up she made a great lethal shot, but i think it would definitely help her. i'm sure i'll find i like it too! - thanks Mike

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 07:27:03 AM »
Tex - you mentioned Creedmoor on mild recoil as a good caliber. I've always been fond on this round and it certainly has it's hate group.

As far as the caliber i have several with two being model 70 fwt and a mark v 6 lug deluxe. The Weatherby has pretty snappy recoil. I also purchased the vanguard Camilla for one of my daughter in-laws and that stock design you can tell a difference in the recoil even with a Creedmoor. None are uncomfortable, the lighter rifles will let you know it sooner! LOL

I like the little 6 lug models from Sheridan, pretty wood lighter and as all I've shot from Weatherby - accurate!
You are right about the Deluxe - in 6.5 CM (and .243 WIN & 240 WBY), it weighs 7 lbs, while in other larger calibers, it weighs either 8.2 or 8.25 lbs. I love any Deluxe (favorite rifle since I was 13) but wish that one weighed 7.5 or 7.75 lbs rather than 7. Recoil aside, I can hold a heavier rifle steadier (offhand) and the weight doesn't bother me. That lighter weight mostly comes down to barrel diameter and contour. The comment about more felt recoil sitting or prone is spot on. When I am bench shooting certain calibers (more than a handful of shots) I have a piece of high-density one inch thick foam (originally a kneeling pad for floor work) that I place between the rifle and my shoulder - the difference is huge, night and day (better than a limbsaver, IMO). That pad allows me to shoot pretty much as many shots as I like with no discomfort. Otherwise, it can get unpleasant fairly quickly. I think much of the "hate" on the 6.5 CM is from people who don't understand what its limitations are - it's not a friggin' moose or bear rifle (although both have supposedly been taken with it).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:01:23 AM by TexWeatherby »
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »
I remember one of our members here having trouble killing pigs cleanly with the CM.It does great gonging plate metal at distance though.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 11:48:24 AM »
IMO, it might be fine for white tail, not much more. My 6.5 CR has only killed paper, great at that.  Hogs are not an easy kill even with a good angle.  The "smallest' caliber I use for hogs is 7mm WSM. I can't remember feeling any recoil or even hearing the shot at live game.   :)

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
Totally agree; whitetails yes, no hogs and I probably wouldn't even use it on Mule Deer.
Come and take it.

txaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 06:32:07 PM »
I think to many people don't understand match bullets either. My wife shot a red stag with it using 130 grain scirocco's - rocked him pretty good and you could tell he was getting weak in the knees with every step and died within sight 1 shot. Now that wasn't my idea, we were hunting sika deer and this rascal showed up and my wife said oh i like that! :) Having to do it again I would not have chosen that rifle - it worked out and i'm glad it did. Should the chase have been on we were looking at some thick and rough country!

I've killed plenty of whitetail and hogs with them, shooting good hunting bullets. I see guys come out with 308's even shooting match bullets and i'm like what are you doing? Anyway - yes it's a fine rifle i'm not making a habit out of exceeding its limitations, nor am i with anything. If i'm paying for a good hunt i'm not out to prove a point, i'm killing a trophy.

While i like the new 6 lugs, i personally would tend to agree with you on weight of gun. The 240's I shoot are mostly 9 lugs and I like that. Now fond of the new backcountries, but a whole nother thread! LOL

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2023, 06:38:19 PM »
I believe felt recoil also has to do with the size and weight of the individual behind the rifle.  I'm only 5'5" @ 160 lbs, and I can shoot my 375 H&H with no issues, and with the exception of my 300 Wby, all my other Weatherbys are unbraked.  Less weight behind rifle, the recoil pushes you with less energy.  The heavier the person behind the rifle the more energy and recoil is felt because of more mass behind the rifle.  I believe also that rifle fit is one of the most important factors the minimizes felt recoil. 

These are the shooting sticks I used to practice in preparation for my last safari, and I took them with me, and they are fantastic set.  Once you know how to set them up, they are fast, and you feel like shooting from a bench only standing up.

Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".