Spike Camp

Trouble traveling with your Weatherby?

phil

Trouble traveling with your Weatherby?
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »
Has anyone had any trouble traveling with their Weatherby?
I've heard stories of trouble not only getting the rifle into another country, but bringing it home. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that would help things run smoothly?

Kingfisher

Re: Trouble traveling with your Weatherby?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »
I've traveled internationally with guns on several occasions without much trouble.  I think the biggest reason folks run into trouble is because they didn't do their homework before hand.  If you're taking a trip, you need to check with the customs dept. for where you're going and find out what specific regulations they have.  In some cases you might need to fill out paperwork in advance and send it to them.  In other cases, you show up with the gun and pay a fee.  It just depends on where you're headed.  You need to also check where you'll be traveling through.  Different international airports have different procedures for gun handling.  If you've got your paperwork in hand when you're routing through another airport or when you get to where you're going, it usually isn't an issue.

Edwin H. Griffith

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
Go to SHAKARI CONNECTION on Google. This site has the most up to date information on African travel that I am aware of. Also try AccurateReloading for additional information and discussion.

Gray Ghost Safaris

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
Never had any real problems with transporting guns. On many African trips, I've taken 3 without problems. They key is having a US agent prearrange everything. Bare in mind, when your in other countries, it's not the USA. They do things a lot different and much of it relies on paying someone to get anything done. These services are referred to as: "meet and greet" and "pre-authorized rifle permits." The reason to use a US agent is to avoid as much hassle as possible. It's quite the experience for the first time traveler, but what an adventure!