Spike Camp

My first Safari

PARA45

• View Profile
My first Safari
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »
I went to South Africa on my first safari.  Here is my first African game taken with my 300 Weatherby Mag. 

Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Re: My first Safari
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Pretty animal. What load did you use and what was the range and far did it go after the shot.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
Hey Chris,

I used reloads.  180 grs Accubond, with 80.5 grs of IMR 7828 SSC, and Federal primers.

We first saw it at about 1000 yds, and we tried to close the gap a little.  When we got to within 200 yds, the wind shifted and the animal moved from the road into the bush.  My PH decided to walk on the road (sand) to see if he was still there.  Well, we went around this big bush, and there it was facing away no more than 45 yds away.  When it turned to look at us, the PH told me to shoot.  Shot went behind the shoulder and exited in the chest.  Animal ran 20 yds and dropped dead. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Congrats.Looks like you got several more trophies from looking at your trophy room.Who did you hunt with?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »
Hello Roger;

I haven't posted  all my trophies yet.  I went to South Africa in Jul, and hunted with Cruiser Safaris in the Limpopo area.  It's an outstanding outfitter and their trophies are first class.  You'll get SCI quality trophies with them, and the prices where reasonable.

james7mmwby

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Really nice pics in your trophy room of the trip. You pretty much bagged every non dangerous game animal on my African wish list. What rifle was that you took the hog with ? Kinda different looking. Looks like a great time.

James

NMARKANITE

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »
Congrats on such a successful Safari , some really nice looking animals and I would say impressive would be an understatement ! That rifle you used on that Hog looks like a Roogha?

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
LOL!!!! Yeah guys, it is my Ruger Mod 77, MK II.  It was the only additional 30 caliber rifle I had, and I wanted to take a spare just in case something catastrofic happen to my Weatherby.  Luckily nothing happended, and I felt I needed to take something with it.

Now, the wait for the trophies to arrive.  My wonderful wife  is already suggesting where to hang them, and I don't mean in the garage or some room.  She wants to display them in the living room....I Am one lucky dog!  LOL!!!!!

zonie

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
Very Nice  !   

mike cardinal

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
You are one lucky dog.
My wife wont even let me hang my moose antler only in the house.
I gave my snow owl away several years ago so it wouldn't go to waist in storage.
Very nice pics. Gongratulations.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
Thank you gents!