Spike Camp

Scope in the way

Northhunter

Scope in the way
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »
I just bought a vangard 2 338 win mag as a back up for my 2014 safari in africa. My main rifle is a A-bolt 375 h&h, with a 60 degree bolt cycling. I find the vangard hard to speed the action with a 90 degree. Also, my thumb touch the scope when I change the bullet. Any one have a solution for that problem. I would not like to be charged by a dangerous animal with a slow action

Thanks

badsection

Re: Scope in the way
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:01:08 AM »
Welcome to the nation! Would a smaller scope or a higher mount help?   :)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
What size of scope do you have?  Are you using low rings?  Perhaps try going to medium height rings to give you a little more clearance.  I've never experienced this problem with Vanguards, Remingtons, Winchesters, or any other type of bolt action.  If your thumb is contacting the scope tube, I wouldn't think it would matter which type of bolt action you were using - all scopes have the same general relationship to the receiver.
JK

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
Where is your thumb hitting the scope?  As for the speed problem practice working the bolt.  I think your problem with working the bolt as fast as your Browning is you're not use to the 90 degree bolt lift because the rifle is new and since you're use to the Browning you're not lifting it completely. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »
Who and where are you hunting with on the safari and what animals?Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
A lot of those PH's in Africa use mauser type actions and they're  90 degree bolts.  I agree with Chris get more familiar with the rifle,  I palm a bolt on opening. and use the heel of my hand pushing the bolt closed to chamber a new round.   Thumb hitting the scope I don't know about that one,  I'd have to see your set up and how you are holding the gun.  Everyone is built different, maybe  higher rings or a stock change would be in order or use a thumbhole stock.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:31:49 AM by zonie »

Northhunter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
Welcome to the nation! Would a smaller scope or a higher mount help?   :)

Northhunter

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I use temporary a Burris Fullfield 4.5x14 to break the barrel. Yes, my mounts are pretty low. My thump touch the dial and maybe I am to impatient and should practice as you said with the palm of my hand and not using my fingers, way I didnt have to care with the 60 degree action. I will pratice and come back to you. My safari will be in S.A at east London and also a week in Namibia.

Thanks a lot

badsection

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
Cool! With your ,375 H &H ,you`ll need that .338 Win Mag as totally a back up!  :)