Spike Camp

28 Nosler

Chip

• View Profile
Re: 28 Nosler
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »
Really Duby?  A Howa action huh?  Hey don't get me wrong I think everybody should buy what they like.  When they are obsolete like a few of mine are becoming you all can feel my pain lol.  But it is cool having an odd ball at the range and in the field right up to the point you can't get or make brass for it anymore.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
I'm not sure what nosler is thinking here. We already have seen the 7STW and 7 RUM come and go. As duby mentioned, capacity on the RUM is greater than the nosler. I guess i don't see the sense in noslers move here, especially when i cam find a 7mm RUM for the 3rd the cost of the nosler rifle. The 26 made sense to me, this 28 does not. I guess it's a way to sell rifles and Accubond LR bullets. I'm all for guys buying whatever they want, i just want to know what the execs at nosler were thinking here.
Isaac

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:52 PM »
Bear in mind I'm not positive about the Howa action part. It is, as yet, an unsubstantiated statement I heard from a sensible source who may be wrong or may be right.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
I will keep my Mark V Stainless 7MM Weatherby Mag. Thanks but no thanks. IMO the Nosler will drop by the wayside and pretty quickly. Look at the 7 STW and 7 RUM.
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.

O C hunter

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
just cleaning up junk on post board

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
Sounds like the rough equivalent to the 7MM STW
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
Nosler is predicting 3300fps with 160s, but with this case being a shortened 7mmRUM, and the best load data I can find on the 7mmRUM showing 160s in the 3200 range, I'm not sure how many yards of barrel Nosler is using to get their 3300 figure.  It will all come out in the literature, as it did with the 26.  I suspect the 3300fps figure is either with a 28" or longer barrel, or it's with some serious imagination.  And if you can get 3300 out of 160s with this round, the barrel will only last about 500rds, based on what kind of powder burn you'd have to initiate to get that 3300.

Certainly there are people for whom this round holds interest.  I am not one of them, however.  The law of diminishing returns is up into the exponential part of the curve here, and for me, the cost is far higher than the benefit, in many ways.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
I agree...the laws of physics have not changed. I know based on case capacity that it cannot outperform a 7mm RUM. I have three 7mms...I have a .280 Ackley, 7mm Rem, and 7mm Weatherby. I do not have a 7mm STW or 7mm RUM due to those simply being WAY too overbore. I have friends that have those chamberings, but they actually don't use them much. It is just too much of a good thing.  I think the 28 Nosler will suffer the same fate as the 7mm WSM and 7mm RSUM - not enough different to attract many people. I could see the attraction with the 26 Nosler, but I don't see it with the 28 Nosler. 
JK

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
I suspect your friends with 7mmRUMs are seeing throat erosion at 250-350rds, and accuracy degredation by 500-600rds, as well. The 28 Nosler won't be more than 100-150rds behind that. Get one finicky about loads like a 7mmRemMag with which I once worked, and fully one third of the barrel life could be gone in finding and tuning a load. That RemMag took seven different bullets, six powders, and twelve different seating depths tested before finding an acceptable load tuned for .9MOA accuracy. If you want to shoot longer ranges, that sort of precision is required as is substantial practice. Figure 200rds annually downrange for maintaining ability at 700-1000yds, and within two to three years its time to start all over again, with another $600 investment in rebarreling. It just doesn't make sense.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
Guys who make barrels for a living gotta eat too right?  Dang duby you must have got the sister rifle to the 270 WSM I once had.  Got so sick of messing with it I traded it off on another one in the same caliber and that was a joy to shoot and easy to load for. Guess you never know.

fuonlynu

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
Re barreling comes cheap compared to new rifles and I have gone through guns like some people go through a bag of chips, it is what it is.

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »
Sure it will sucker some in as the WSM did.Then die as they have.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 07:04:44 PM »
Well I guess I'll be the odd man out, but that fine because it isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time.  I'm interested in learning more about this round and might buy one.  When it comes to what I buy there's no need for any of it however I buy because of the simple fact that I want it for what ever reason, and that's good enough in my book. Let's face it there's a lot of guns out there that cost a lot more than a Weatherby and people buy them, maybe not in the same numbers as Weatherbys but they buy them none the less.  Are they getting a better gun because they spent more, maybe and then again maybe not.  There are some cheaper guns out there that will shoot just as good as a Weatherby however they don't carry the Weatherby name.  That being said, some names carry a higher degree of mystique.  Let's face it if you ran into a guy who was hunting with a Caesar Guerini  shotgun and another guy had an H&R single shot, which gets you thinking about how it shoots and how much enjoyment it brings the guy.  

Looking at this from a practical stand point the best 7mm to buy is the 7mm Remington Magnum because you can get ammo just about any where and pretty cheap.  When it comes to 7STW there's a group of people who love it and stand by it regardless of what anyone says and the same is true for the .264 Winchester Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, and so on.  I think the Nolser 28 is going to become one of them.  Some guys are going to buy it just for the fact that it says Nosler.  Are they wrong for doing that, I don't think so and certainly wouldn't wast my time or breath trying to tell them differently because it's a fool's argument.  It's a lot simpler to look at it and say that's nice, good luck with it, but it's not for me.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:06:22 PM by Chris »
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
The manufacture of the Nosler M48 action is a trade secret just like the manufacture of their brass. There maybe some similarities like the safety but if you look at the left side of the action it looks like an FN Browning or a Sako, Pac Nor makes their barrels.
The new Nosler cartridges are designed around the use of a standard long action and can be chambered in Rugers, Winchesters, Savages and don't require a large magnum action like the Rums and Weatherby cartridges. It was this flexibility that Nosler designed into the new cartridge case.
TD

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
Sounds like you will be buying one td2.Let us know how yours shoots and what velocity you get?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.