Spike Camp

28 Nosler

Re: 28 Nosler
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
I'm not sure all of it is made in Bend. It may be, but I've also heard unsubstantiated rumor the action comes from none other than the Howa plant in Japan.
Just got an answer back to your question on who makes the action for the M48 and Nosler says and I quote it is made in House by us.
They do get their barrels from Pac Nor which are very good.
With Browning picking up on the New Nosler rounds I expect to see more companies doing the same thing since they can use their standard full length action with out modifying which is also a reason it will appeal to the custom rifle builder because they won't need a magnum length action to build on. There are a lot of pluses here if you can look past  the negative comments. You can have one on any rifle manufacture platform you want with a standard long action. Even a Savage switch barrel if that's your desire and get a few tools and change the barrel your self. ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:26:38 AM by truck driver 2 »
TD

zonie

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »
We  need to stop speculating so much and let it play out and see where it goes.  Not that long ago gun powders were one of the limiting factors on how fast or efficient a cartridge can be.  Bullets , primers, brass and the gun it's self to a lesser extent.  I will be curious to what powder or powder blend will be used ?   If you had the money you can have powders blended to your need given a  set of specifics.  Like I said it can be done but at a cost.   Now whether Nosler will be doing this is anyone's guess.  Maybe they already have a canister grade powder that will fill the bill.,  I don't know.  The big gun companies usually have deep enough pockets and at times when they develop new cartridges they will spec out to the powder companies what they need and what they are looking for.  Take Hornady for instance they are a ammo  company looking for a .solution to a problem and had the powder companies in conjunction with themselves come up with a process and solution, and they are not even a rifle manufacture.  It can be done,    you may fail a few times ,  it just depends on a little brain power and a willingness to make it happen.     Really there ain't a whole lot that hasn't been done in ammo wild catting the biggest issue  it a lot of them have been ahead of their times.  Some wild catting you never hear about or published, but it was still done you just don't hear about it.  I know of stuff  done in the bullet side you will never hear about because it's way too dam expensive to make any money at,  but the darn stuff works for what it was intended.    There is always that money thing that seems to crop up. 

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
I find all the negativity interesting considering we're fans of Weatherby rifles.  Now let's remember a bit if history here, when Roy started out developing his calibers his line of thinking was the complete opposite of the main stream.  The main stream wanted heavy bullets going at modest speeds while Roy wanted to push lighter bullets real fast and felt it would result in faster kills and flatter ballistics.  When John Nosler was developing his Partition bullets he was also going against the main stream which was happy with a cup and core design.  Both of these Gentlemen stood their ground against the main stream and continued on with their designs and as a result changed a lot of people's ways of thinking.  Sure it's easy to say Nosler is wasting their time making these new calibers but I'm sure they spent a lot of time  not only designing them but thinking the idea through long before they ever started the design process.  I think these calibers will continue to grab a lot of attention and as other manufacturers make them keep their sales up.   

When it comes to the idea of a Nosler 30 I think it would be very interesting and hang on for quite a long time considering the popularity of .30 caliber bullets.  I'm sure it was told to Roy that his creations are nothing more than a fad and won't be around long and look at where they are today, this is Weatherby's 70 year anniversary.  Sure the WSMs, and RSAUMs fell to the wayside but think about how much marketing was put into them beyond their infancy, not much.  There are lots of great calibers out there that we don't see or even hear much about but that doesn't change the fact that they're good calibers.  In the end we can argue this point until we're blue in the face but in the end time will tell what will be.  My personal guess is Nosler is onto something here, their calibers will be around for a long time, and they will come out with a Nosler 30 and a Nosler 33 or something close to it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:25:17 PM by Chris »
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
I hear you Chris and your rite. Problem is its already been done. Every one after Roy is simply re designing the wheel. Maybe Nosler thinks they can build A better mouse trap.
They certainly have the rite to try. I for one have seen to many attemps at the same thing. there are to many 7mm mags and 300 mags as it is.
instead of building one faster. How about becoming A better hunter & shooter.Pluss what happens when your holding this death ray and the animal is only 50 yards away ???
Mark

fuonlynu

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
I am a believer that the Nosler action is indeed a Howa build Ofcourse Nosler is saying its an in house deal so not to spoil their sales, face it no high end gun gurru is going to want a Howa action so what they don't know won't hurt them. It's all marketing that's how it works.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
I'm not sure all of it is made in Bend. It may be, but I've also heard unsubstantiated rumor the action comes from none other than the Howa plant in Japan.
Just got an answer back to your question on who makes the action for the M48 and Nosler says and I quote it is made in House by us.
They do get their barrels from Pac Nor which are very good.
With Browning picking up on the New Nosler rounds I expect to see more companies doing the same thing since they can use their standard full length action with out modifying which is also a reason it will appeal to the custom rifle builder because they won't need a magnum length action to build on. There are a lot of pluses here if you can look past  the negative comments. You can have one on any rifle manufacture platform you want with a standard long action. Even a Savage switch barrel if that's your desire and get a few tools and change the barrel your self. ;D

Im not trying to be argumentative on this. And I hope Nosler is being 100% forthright on this, but I can tell you they told me the same exact thing regarding their brass, which I know from conversations otherwise what they do in house is the final size and their sort/prep activities, while sourcing formed brass from Norma, Winchester, and possibly others. The first two I know for a fact. So in-house doesn't mean they forge and heat treat the action in Bend (or machine from billet and heat treat), but may instead take a basic action and finish it in house.

Now, with that said, regardless of how it is done, the Nosler rifles are production-custom guns of very high quality in fit and finish. They are one of the most economical production-custom rifle makers, as well. But that market exceeds most people's means, limiting the appeal of their chamberings. I am impressed to see the Browning chambered in 26 for one of their SHOT Show specials, and it will be interesting how it sells. I suspect a reasonable number of those will end up on used racks with heavy copper fouling and perceived barrel wear because of it, and perhaps a deal or two will be found. Interesting, for sure. I still don't think the 26 makes a ton of sense, and the 28 even less. I had forgotten about the Dakota lineup. These Nosler rounds are almost dead copies of that case. That doesn't bode well for popularity, though.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
ok,Im not at all trying to be negative or put anyone down for what they believe in here,but I just read noslers press release on the 28 nosler and more specifically the ballistics chart,they claim is it is the most powerful commercially available 7mm on the market,3300 fps for the 160 grain accubond and 3125 for the 175 grain long range accubond,i don't see this as a earth shattering break through,thats 100 fps over the 7mm wby for the 160 grain and 55 fps over the 175 grain,the difference in trajectory and energy in the field will be almost non existetnet,as for the future of introducing a 30 and or a 33 nosler,they will never catch the 30-378 or 338-378 weatherbys,as mentioned earlier,there trying to reinvent the wheel in a market that is already saturated with 7mm,30,and 33 caliber magnums,each time a new one is introduced they grab some of the first time buyers market share and then slowly fade away,I agree with Chris,im sure people thought roy was crazy when he started out but time has proved them wrong and roys cartridges of the time were offering substantial velocity increase over cartridges of the day.I cant fault anyone for trying to improve on anything,if nobody tried to improve things we would still be riding horses.time will tell what will happen to noslers new creations and I sure hope they keep making there awesome bullets,but I don't see anything here that is going to catch on to quick not to mention the physical appearance of there rifles don't hold a candle to a weatherby mark v in any configuration,jmo

badsection

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
If Browning and other makers chamber this round at a lower price point, I`m interested. Most of us here preach velocity rules. I believe accuracy rules!  BTW, I have 4 so called "obsolete " rifles right now. 338 RUM (by accident), 300 WSM, 7mm WSM and 270 WSM!  Not a one is NOT sub moa!  My 2cents worth, again.....       ;D

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
I see the Browning xbolt western hunter is offered in 26nosler for $989.99 on there website. At 6lb 13 ounces it seems rather light with a 26" barrel. I ordered a catalog, hopefully it lists the 28nosler.
Doug

badsection

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »
All the Brownings are pretty light weight. Same basic weight for .375 H&H mag!  ;D

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:18 PM »
I agree with Badsection, speed is nice but if there's no accuracy what good is it worth? Absolutely nothing.  I think it says something for the Nosler 26 when Browning starts chambering their rifles for it.  Browning makes some very high quality guns for their price.  Beyond that Browning has come up with some pretty innovate things in the last few years such as the T-Bolt and X-Bolt action while not spiking their prices.  Someone mentioned here that the 7 STW has faded away and maybe that's true for the most part however I'm sure you'll find a bunch of people who swear by it as is the case with just about any caliber regardless of it's extremely popular or not.  Who ever thought the .350 Remington Magnum would still be around today.  Sure not many companies are making them but there are guys out there that would tell you if they had to keep just one rifle it would be their .350 Remington Magnum. 

When it comes to the Nosler 26 and 28 I like the fact that they kept it in the long action caliber class.  I think that will help them out a lot to garner shooter's loyalty.  As for if their rifles have a Howa action or not I don't know.  What I do know though is there are countless numbers of custom rifles that have been built off of the Remington Model 700 and Winchester Model 70 actions.  That being said Howa makes a good action and regardless of if it's one of their rifles or the Weatherby Vanguards they shoot good groups.  Now I realize there's a lot more to obtaining accuracy then just the action but it's an important component that can't be over looked.  I wouldn't have my feelings hurt if they were built with a Howa action after all most bolt actions can trace their history back to the Mauser action. 

Sure the Nosler 26 and 28 aren't for everyone but then again neither is the .300 or .338-378 Weatherby Magnums.   

Badsection, before I forget thanks for reminding me about the .338 RUM, that was one that is on my wish list that I forgot about.  There's just something about a .338 caliber that I like.  Boy doesn't that remind you of Elmer Keith?  LOL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:51:28 PM by Chris »
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:26 PM »
333 reminds me of Elmer.   That and 2400.